Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thermold Magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/thermold-magazines-92457/)

andrewwanca 06-18-2013 01:56 AM

Thermold Magazines

Does anyone have any experience with these? I picked up a few today and none of them feed into my M&P 15. They don't lock in either. I'm disappointed to say the least! Does anyone have any tricks? I tried it with the bolt locked back so there would be no obstructions or pressure keeping it out, but it just won't go in.

TexasGunner 06-18-2013 02:12 AM

I've got some of them and they feed just as well as my p-mags and Troy battle mags. They are not pretty or as well made as the other two but they feed just fine in my rock river. No modification required.

SSGN_Doc 06-18-2013 02:15 AM

My trick is that I don't use them.

BigBizz87 06-18-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGunner (Post 1279367)
I've got some of them and they feed just as well as my p-mags and Troy battle mags. They are not pretty or as well made as the other two but they feed just fine in my rock river. No modification required.

Same here got some 20rnd magz that work just fine in my DPMS haven't had any problems with the feeding or locking in place

Quentin 06-18-2013 05:02 AM

I have quite a few Thermold 20s and a couple 30s. All fit just fine in my S&W lower and my other ARs too. For range mags they're pretty good. Don't know why yours won't fit.

andrewwanca 06-19-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1279370)
My trick is that I don't use them.

That's the route I should have gone. I'm frustrated that I deviated from my usual PMag purchases. I've bought cheap in the past, I just thought that I had learned my lesson!

andrewwanca 06-19-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGunner (Post 1279367)

Pretty they are not.

I've done some poking around and I haven't found many people with problems OTHER than Colt & M&P users. Not sure what would cause that. I have a friend with a RRA rifle. I'll see if they feed in his, like yours do. Maybe I can do some handiwork to jimmy them in there.:cool:

Quentin 06-19-2013 05:43 AM

How old is your S&W? Pre-2009 they had very tight magwell, even PMAGs stuck in them. My lower is from early 2009.

andrewwanca 06-19-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
How old is your S&W? Pre-2009 they had very tight magwell, even PMAGs stuck in them. My lower is from early 2009.

It's brand new. Just purchased this one in Feb. 2013. My PMags all go in and out like butter. I'm just not purchasing any magazines other than Magpul from here on out!