thank yall, now to my aspirations - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

thank yall, now to my aspirations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3498 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
As far as parts go what should I be focusing on. I am looking at the DPMS lower if that makes a difference. My main intentions of this gun will be the occasional hunt, Im not a big target shooter but I feel that once I have a gun like this that may change, so I would like to be able to group a few rounds together, but in saying that im not looking for a competition shooter. I like the match trigger from the few I have had my hands on, and from what I have heard from other people. Other than that I dont know what else to look for, so once again I am going to turn to the all knowing.. all seeing.. JD

Kyle
Kyle, I appreciate the shout out but there are PLENTY of members here with a vastly greater technical understanding of the platform than I am.

Quetin, slowrdy45, mjkeat and our latest vendor R.A.R. ALL have a wealth of knowledge to draw from. I was merely here first and wanted to get some good information out there for folks looking for information for their first buy/build.

There is nothing wrong with the DPMS unit, but one of the things that is a common, behind the scenes untalked about fact, is that there are about 2 or 4 production houses that turn out MOST of the production receivers for a lot of companies and just place different roll marks on the same unit.

So find a lower, and matching upper if you can, THAT YOU LIKE. It doesn't matter what any one of us likes, it matters what you like, because it's your money and it will be your rifle.

Now when I was talking about deciding what you wanted to use the rifle for AFTER buying your lower is when we get into the lower parts kit and what kind of parts you will be looking for. Specially in the trigger and the pistol grip.

In most folks opinion a really cool, breaks like glass, $150-$200 drop in two stage trigger on a 16" mil spec, Minute of Bad Guy perimeter rifle is going to be a waste of money. It is not going to drastically improve your performance. A stock GI trigger with just a little free tuning is going to give you great results in this type of weapon.

Now if you want to build a 20" or 24" varmint rifle that is built for sub MOA accuracy out to 500 or 600 yards, you are going to REALLY want to spend the extra cash and get a truly great two stage trigger because it will GREATLY improve your accuracy.

So you are looking at DPMS for your lower. It's a very nice unit, and if you are happy with it, that is fine. But what is YOUR end result goal for application and your definition of accuracy for it when you are done?

From there, we can help you design exactly what you are looking for brother. As in the build threads above, there are people who started in this EXACT position and ended up with some great rifles.

Give it some thought and get back to us.

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-09-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: member name spelling

Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
As far as parts go what should I be focusing on. I am looking at the DPMS lower if that makes a difference. My main intentions of this gun will be the occasional hunt, Im not a big target shooter but I feel that once I have a gun like this that may change, so I would like to be able to group a few rounds together, but in saying that im not looking for a competition shooter. I like the match trigger from the few I have had my hands on, and from what I have heard from other people. Other than that I dont know what else to look for, so once again I am going to turn to the all knowing.. all seeing.. JD

Kyle
I dont remember if there was a price point.

The way I look at purchasing an AR w/ prices being so competitive is, why not spend a little extra for a lot more. You can build a lower but its hard to beat a BCM blem for $290 complete. It'll have everything installed and staked properly. I dont currently own one but BCM has a cult following w/ the upper echelon of professionals to your beat cops. Theres no better testament than that in my eyes. I would recommend Daniel Defense stripped lowers but they are really hard to find right now. As far as building an upper Ive done that a couple times. I would recommend purchasing a complete upper as well. Again BCM is first to come to mind. If you can wait a month DD uppers will be back on sale, hopefully. I have a DD upper that is super solid. I think I figured a complete BCM, upper and lower ordered separately, will run roughly over $800. Thats really dang good for a professional grade AR.

If you decide to build the BCG and barrel are going to be your key points of interest. Again DD and BCM jump out first. Noveske however makes really nice barrels according to the word on the street. Accurate and bullet proof but towards the top of the price scale. White Oak Armament makes good barrels as well.

Just research and ask questions. Remember a lot of the time you can get a much better product for just slightly more.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
In most folks opinion a really cool, breaks like glass, $150-$200 drop in two stage trigger on a 16" mil spec, Minute of Bad Guy perimeter rifle is going to be a waste of money. It is not going to drastically improve your performance. A stock GI trigger with just a little free tuning is going to give you great results in this type of weapon.
Very true.

Kwaynebb If you must have an improved trigger there are guys who can rework your mil spec.

I have a Timmney in my 14.5" DD. I agree it is a little over board but it sure shoots fast. It could see how it might be unsafe if used on the job. It is designed to break really easy and w/o much pressure.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1609 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

Good advice already from JD and mjkeat. I really can't add any more, they're taking good care of you. Besides I'm certainly no expert, just learning all I can from others like them who know so much more. Just take your time and do as much research as you can, you'll be surprised how much you learn in a short time. Look at what other have done and learn from them.

Of course if you like the DPMS lower, go for it but I'd look at other rollmarks just in case. You might find something distinctive that you'd be proud to start a build on. Probably the best advice I can give is don't be in a hurry, savor this period where you're soaking up knowledge. Then make purchases when you're sure.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I really dont know much about the who's who of AR's. Just from what I have looked at the DPMS has been at the top of my list as far as my price range(complete off the shelf). Since I have decided to build one I keep forgeting that I can spread the price out and I dont have to settle. Also I need a AR's for Dummies list. Well I am heading out tomorrow with a friend to do some hunting. He says he knows a gunsmith in the city who handles a lot of AR's, so hopefully I will be getting some more info tomorrow. Once again guys thank you all for answering to my posts. I know yall have answered all these questions 200 times before, but I really am appreciative. Im willing to take any help I can get. thank you

By the way I am still curious about the "cool" factor, or im just interested in personalizing a bit. How do you get lowers with custom rollmarks

Kyle

Last edited by Kwaynebb; 01-09-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: did not see previous posts

Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #16

Most don't come with custom roll marks. You can get them with custom laser engraving pretty easy. Custom roll marks require a resetting of the CNC machine which takes time and money. You can get a custom engraved lower for around $165.

Most of your accuracy will come from the barrel and bolt assembly. This is why it's important to get quality when it comes to both.

As stated, Daniel Defense has suspended all sale of stripped lowers until futher notice due to high demand on complete rifles right now.

As far as DPMS goes, the lowers are fine. Their rifles have an unusually high return rate due to poor quality control during assembly. Their resale value doesn't seem to be as high as other brands. I should mention that if you do get DPMS that works (95% do), they are fine and many people love them and they give a life time of good service. This is why I suggested a different lower. Plus the fact that Spikes, DTI and AGP are less expensive and seem to carry a stronger reputation. Of the three I mentioned, AGP is the nicest. They do their own machining and they have a unique feature which allows you to adjust the trigger travel by turning a screw behind the trigger guard.

Last edited by RARGuns; 01-09-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Clarification on DPMS

Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay so I looked at CMG and I really like the looks it and it is $89. With your order you can add a RRA parts kit for $70. Is this good or not? Advice for the noob please.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #18

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

$160 for a lower and parts kit seems pretty darn good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A couple less expensive choices.

Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit

Stainless Steel Lower Parts Kit for AR Receivers

Spike's Tactical AR15 Lower Receiver

Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver

Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I would've given the exact same links, except for the Surplus Arms & Ammo lower. I got one and proceeded to install an AR stoner parts kit I found on Clearance somewhere. Almost everything required some fitting. I'm talkin' from the bolt catch, to the pistol grip and even the trigger/dis connector holes. However, once I got it in it's almost just the same as my other lowers.