Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > thank yall, now to my aspirations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I recently picked up a UTG buttstock. It came with buffer and spring. I got it at a gun show from blackriflestuff.com I like the look. It looks to me like the yen 2 from bravo company that I was looking at and I got it for $39. So the price was right, but I was wondering if I should look at a name brand buffer and spring. Any thoughts??

Kyle

Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #102

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I would have paid more for the real thing but your stock kit might work all right. I don't know but I'm afraid you cut a corner where you shouldn't have - a crucial operational component of the rifle.

Compare the spring and buffer against a quality set if they look like junk. You definitely want quality in the buffer/spring. The spring should be around 11" long +/- 3/4". IIRC, a standard carbine weight buffer weighs 2.9 oz and an H buffer about 3.7oz. The H normally is a good idea, even H2 or H3 depending on your configuration. You want to feel the weights slam back and forth when you shake the buffer, too. I don't know if UTG will have three separate weights as a proper buffer does.

Is the receiver extension milspec or commercial diameter? Doesn't matter with their stock but if you replace...

Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #103

Kyle, one more thing... are you sure you're up to building an upper? And have the proper tools?

I'd recommend buying an upper already factory built or by a vendor you trust. If you go with Sun Devil you are limited somewhat since you need someone to build on their stripped upper. This is the main reason I didn't go Sun Devil on one of my builds, of course if I ever complete the 80% SD lower I'll have the same decision to make.

Of course you're not locked in to Sun Devil (other than cosmetic reasons) so you can buy from any good vendor. Put a lot of thought in to what you want and what you need before buying anything. Barrel length, gas system length, barrel profile, twist rate, rails/handguards, sights, etc. I would use a BCM or Daniel Defense 16" midlength 1:7" as a straw man right now. See if it works out for you, throw rocks at the man, see if he keeps standing or gets knocked down and build him back up to your own specs.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARGuns View Post
They are on backorder but I should have some either this week or next week according to Sun Devil. Let me know and I will hold one for you.
Do you know how much y'all get on yours? I think at Coleman Tyler I can get one with the forward assist for $209. Also I have seen a few That don't have the sun devil logo on the side I would like to get one that does have it if possible. Definitely interested though.

Kyle

Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #105

They are $199.00 with the ejection port door and forward assist. Forum members price $189.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The corrected finished lower.

This is where the magic happens... or the mistakes not sure which one yet.

Well I found a good deal on a magpul stock and went name brand with my buffer and spring. May have been okay with the cheap UTG, but I just felt better about going with something better right out of the gate. So now my lower is finished and Im thinking I should have an upper soon. I think Ive found someone who is gonna take care of me thanks to the forum. All I have to do is make the call in the morning. Its amazing what you can get done when you find people willing to take the time to help you out.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #107

Looking good! The MOE looks great on the SD. And glad you found a nice deal at RARGuns for the upper...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #108

Looks good so far.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #109

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It does seem to be coeming together quite well.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #110

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks really good so far. Keep up the reporting and we will get this one up on the wall of builds as well.

JD