thank yall, now to my aspirations
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > thank yall, now to my aspirations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thank yall, now to my aspirations

First off I want to thank all of you for putting a stop to my potential 5.7 mistake. I have decided to go ahead and just build my ar and I would like to do so from the ground up. Since this will help spread the cost out I am going to be able to increase the budget considerably. I would like to ask if any experienced builders would be able to point me in the right direction to start this off, so that i can be looking in the right places(possibly a check list). The main reason I want to do this is so that I can have a better understanding of its opperation. I know guns, but little on the AR. This is why I joined this forum. I want to learn more about mechanics, ballistics, and opperations.

Kyle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Kyle, congratulations on your first step towards one that will no doubt be the first of many.

Go to the top of this thread section. There are (4) threads "Stickied" to the top about builds that have been done by people here just like you. Look through them, there are parts and pictures and instructions. There is also a ton of good information.

The first place to start is a good lower. With a lower, it is the only part that needs to go through an FFL, so once you own it, you can modify the hell out of it with different parts and kits all you want and no one can say anything as long as you don't break any federal rules or modify it against the law.

From there, you need to decide on barrel length and application, because that will determine a lot of the parts that will go into that lower.

JD

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD i really enjoyed reading some of your posts. very helpfull. any tips on where i can start looking. and im not really looking to go cheap route. i want quality parts. sorry for the ignorance, but im not going to turn away any advice on this one.

Kyle

Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #4

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

I agree with JD, start looking for a good stripped lower, lower parts kit and stock kit. You can have excellent quality for $250-300. Get the rollmark you like best, it doesn't cost that much more and you'll be proud to have it on your build.

Put thought into the stock and you won't have to buy twice. As far as the LPK, most will do but think about single stage or two stage triggers. Personally I like a quality milspec single stage kit and Stag has a real good one for about $69. Clean milspec trigger.

Uppers will take even more research so take your time on that. No reason to be in a hurry, be sure when you buy.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As Quentin and JD both said, figure out what you want this AR to do for you before you start buying parts. It will help reduce the size of your "leftover AR parts" pile. There are some really knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=Quentin;416794]I agree with JD, start looking for a good stripped lower, lower parts kit and stock kit. You can have excellent quality for $250-300. Get the rollmark you like best, it doesn't cost that much more and you'll be proud to have it on your build.

talking about the rollmark, is it possible to get custom rollmarks. If not im not that worried but ive found a DPMS stripped lower for $110, and a stag for around the same. and i wouldnt mind having either one. but to clarify what jd said it doesnt matter which one i go with they are basicaly same.. right?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You can get custom rollmarks, and even lowers that are customized to your wants.

The lowers come in three categories.

Cast

Forged

Billet

Read this page from Olympic and it will help you understand two of the different types of lower receivers.

Olympic Arms, Inc. - Is my receiver cast or forged?

And then there is Billet. Which is the top of the line and completely, completely not necessary in your first AR unless you have more money than sense or time.

Basically the lower can be made out of wood or plastic, because it holds the pieces of the lower parts kit and it performs the function of holding them in place.

Now the sturdier that lower is, obviously the better it's going to be, but when you take a look at the whole weapon, the UPPER is the key to accuracy. Believe it or not an upper will fire WITHOUT a lower if you strike the firing pin and have the upper in a vice.

The key to accuracy with an AR is the parts. No question (other than shooter, wind, ammo, etc. which are the obvious ones).

Get a decent quality lower, from a name brand that is made here in the US and you will be fine. You don't need titanium and platinum for your upper and lowers to build a good weapon.

JD

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The key to accuracy with an AR is the parts. No question (other than shooter, wind, ammo, etc. which are the obvious ones).
JD

As far as parts go what should I be focusing on. I am looking at the DPMS lower if that makes a difference. My main intentions of this gun will be the occasional hunt, Im not a big target shooter but I feel that once I have a gun like this that may change, so I would like to be able to group a few rounds together, but in saying that im not looking for a competition shooter. I like the match trigger from the few I have had my hands on, and from what I have heard from other people. Other than that I dont know what else to look for, so once again I am going to turn to the all knowing.. all seeing.. JD

Kyle

Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

You can do a lot better than DPMS for $110. Spikes, Del-Ton and AGP just to name a few. If you want to have a really nice, high quality AR a Noveske Match set upper and lower ($260.) is a great place to start. If you want a billet set, Quentin Defense and Sun Devil Manufacturing Match ($280.) sets are a great affordable option.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quentin Defense upper and lower