The Tale of Windham Weaponry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Tale of Windham Weaponry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Windham Weaponry is old Bushmaster. Seriously. 5 years ago when Remington bought Bushy from Richard Dyke, there were understandings that led Dick to believe Remington would continue producing Bushmaster rifles as well as the new Remington models at the Windham, Maine plant (see where the Windham part comes in?). Well, a little over a year ago Mr. Dyke got wind (no pun intended) that the FINE folks at Remington were moving all Bushmaster products to their Ilion, NY plant to be made along with the rest of their line. The problem with this? Richard Dyke had a pocket full of cash from the sale of his baby and a dirty conscience (using that phrase liberally) with a whole plant full of “HIS” people out of work. Feeling a moral obligation to his people, Richard Dyke (now 77 years old and with his non compete contract having run out with Remington) decided to come out of retirement to start up Windham Weaponry where the people he loved for 30+ years could get back to work doing what they loved. The result has been Bushmaster reborn with a new energy, small company pride and workmanship, and a lineup of AR-15 spec rifles that will rival even the biggest names in the industry. The company is family run, both in blood and relationships and is quickly gaining steam all over again.

For this reason alone, I will never buy anything from Freedom Group and my next AR purchase will be a Windham Weaponry rifle.

Please follow me and boycott Freedom Group.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Last edited by Squawk; 11-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I purchased their new rifle, and impressed with the quality. Limited experience with it so far, but seems well built and the couple hundred holes in the paper are about as good as I'm capable of.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well you convinced me. Not to go against anyone, but to support a fighter.

If I get an AR (MSR), it'll be a Windham.

Thank you. I'll be researching it myself too though.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Liked 2501 Times on 1626 Posts

If I had the money to buy an AR, I would probably go with a windham. As far as boycotting, I see the point here. But there are too many companies that screw over their workforce to justify boycotting every one. Good thread.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #5

I bought a Windham on that sheer principal in your thread. 250 rounds through mine with the only issues coming from my gen 3 pmag. God Bless America and God Bless Windham.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

You're gonna have to do a whole lot better than regurgitate that old story we've heard for the last year. Nice story but why spend as much for Windham which cuts the same old corners that Bushamster did when you have PSA, Spikes and others that do it right: i.e. milspec BCG, milspec receiver extension, milspec barrel, HP, MPI, etc. For the same money! Or why not do your own build so you know exactly what parts went in your rifle. For the same money!

Honestly I have nothing against Windham other than I know I can do better for the same money.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Scorpion Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did some research on Windham about 6 months ago.... Then I bought one. I picked up their SRC (Optic Ready Carbine) and have around 300 rds through it with 0 issues. I absolutely love it. You can see it in my profile pick with my Glock. Excellent weapon.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You're gonna have to do a whole lot better than regurgitate that old story we've heard for the last year. Nice story but why spend as much for Windham which cuts the same old corners that Bushamster did when you have PSA, Spikes and others that do it right: i.e. milspec BCG, milspec receiver extension, milspec barrel, HP, MPI, etc. For the same money! Or why not do your own build so you know exactly what parts went in your rifle. For the same money!

Honestly I have nothing against Windham other than I know I can do better for the same money.
Ok mr glass half empty. I didn't say go buy a Windham. I just am fed up with Freedom Group and the lack of quality. Ask anyone who owns a Bushmaster made before Freedom Group bought them and they swear by them. Just because you love your PSA, Spikes, etc. doesn't mean Windham is doing it wrong. Get over your elitist self and appreciate the fact someone did something right in a world gone wrong.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Ok mr glass half empty. I didn't say go buy a Windham. I just am fed up with Freedom Group and the lack of quality. Ask anyone who owns a Bushmaster made before Freedom Group bought them and they swear by them. Just because you love your PSA, Spikes, etc. doesn't mean Windham is doing it wrong. Get over your elitist self and appreciate the fact someone did something right in a world gone wrong.
What's with the personal attack? I gave you facts yet I don't see many facts from you - just a personal attack. What's elitist about recommending a better rifle for the same money? It's time to drop your attack against me and prove to us that a new startup already produces a better AR than PSA, which is at the same price point or lower. Show us how the corners that Windham is known to cut give you a better rifle.

A nice story doesn't necessarily produce a better rifle. I want proof that a near unknown is better than a solid vendor like PSA. I like it that Richard Dyke got his old factory workers off unemployment but still, it's a competitive market out there and we all have to comparison shop with our brains, not our hearts. Sorry, that's the way it is. And oh, by the way, PSA and Spikes also keep Americans in the workforce. So do BCM, Daniel Defense, S&W, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington and most AR makers I can think of.

And it's rather disingenuous to say you're not pushing Windham. Your whole thread reeks of Windham's greatness so don't say you're not recommending them in your thread. Maybe they are good, give us the proof though. You say this is all about Freedom Group, so why complicate your point with Windham? Unless you are in fact recommending Windham! And why is the bulk of your thread starting post about Windham while only the last two sentences are about boycotting Freedom Group? You're not pushing Windham?

I'm not defending Cerberus (and the Freedom Group that Cerberus later created) but BM and Remington were debt ridden and up for sale. We can't be sure they would have survived without deeper pockets snatching them up. Cerberus itself is carrying a lot of debt so one worry is that if they go under, so does BM, Remington, DPMS, Marlin and a few others. And maybe even worse ultimately, the billions of rounds of ammo they sell today.

If you want to beat on Freedom Group go ahead. But if that's what you want to do why complicate your story with Windham? Even you have to admit you spent most of your OP on Windham.

Below is a link from a year ago with more on this story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/business/how-freedom-group-became-the-gun-industrys-giant.html?pagewanted=all

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i sense not the whole truth or a version of it.

if dyke cared about the employees and thats his sole motivation why sell in the first place??

i think the truth is closer to bushmaster was junky pre-freedom group and nothing has really changed. it was sold because dyke was producing an inferior product.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This