Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "Tacticool" Will Never Replace Common Sense

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default "Tacticool" Will Never Replace Common Sense

The squib doesn't have the energy to fully cycle the bolt. He feels the squib load, but instead of checking the bore...... He then manually cycles the bolt & chambers a fresh round. "Tap, rack, bang". Just like you see a large number of tactical "trainers" teach in all the tacti-cool videos on the internet.

And voilà

BOOM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Ouch, was he seriously hurt?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Tap, rack, bang gets you an alibi on the rifle range with someone else's rifle. My personal rifle if it fails to fire gets inspected, after all nobody is shooting at me on the range and I have to pay for a new rifle.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's unfortunate.

Are you saying that practical training is not necessary or somehow a waste of time? How do you feel people should shoot?

How is this guy tactical? The M4 tattoo on his left forearm? I think you are making assumptions based on emotion and not common sense. Even before the video started this guy was giving off d-bag vibes. The tattoo sealed the deal.

I imagine you saw the video and lit up, "I'm going to go post this," "I'll show those retards how stupid they are."

I dislike those tacticool guys as much as the next man but lumping them together with guys that are seriously about their proficiency behind a weapon is wrong. It makes people shy away from practical shooting and their butt stays planted at the bench which is doing no favors for anyone.

I'm not a prepper or militant type person but in the case of self-defense practical shooting is where it's at. Bench time will get you nowhere when it really counts.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How is this guy tactical?
Click on, "The Man Firing My Rifle" from 0:01 to 0:04 in the video.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How do you feel people should shoot?
Safely....

Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ouch, that is a bummer

Check out my Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/1crimm

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

After following the additional link provided in the video I take back some of what I said about the guy. I still think the tattoo is something he will regret as he gets older but he seems to be putting effort into learning to manipulate his firearm. Much more than can be said about 99% of those who claim AR superiority or advanced knowledge. More people need to hit the range in this capacity.

What did he do that was unsafe? What are these trainers teaching that is unsafe? Not trying to bust anyones balls, just trying to figure out what he did wrong. It must be serious to warrant it's own thread.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 648

im at work and cant hear if you can tell the sound of the last round fired. but the tap rack bang is not just a mall ninja thing. the US military teaches this exact action in bootcamp... look to see if its jammed, then tap, rack, bang. upon another malfunction more action is required.. so i see nothing wrong. but thats with me going on the basis of not hearing a difference in shots. seems to be just an unlucky guy

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Liked 4677 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

With the noise of the firing line I can't tell if shooter could hear a "pop" as the primer only charge sent the bullet lodging into the barrel. It seem to occur on the 7th round and there is obviously "no kick".

Infantry training made me aware of the potential danger of a squib round or "pop no kick" as my DS called it but I've never experienced one. That other part of infantry training is remediate action otherwise known as SPORTS.
SLAP the bottom of the mag
PULL the charging handle to the rear
OBSERVE the chamber for a folded shell or casing
RELEASE the charging handle
TAP the forward assist
SHOOT

The only error I see from the shooter was failing to notice the bad round was "no longer live" upon ejection and following the squib with no recoil.

Honestly, doubt I'd have noticed that either given the rate at which he was firing.

I call this one bad luck while doing it just as I was trained to do it.

Tack

Closed Thread