Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > tactical tupperware??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oops i ment 31. I cannot figure out how to edit from my phone.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3

Not sure that's a valid argument, it's not like people are video taping their pmags performing flawlessly, you only get the negative. I bet the good videos would out number the bad videos 1000-1 if people recorded every perfectly running pmag. The "you tube" argument is a little bias...IMHO
The YouTube vids show the contrary. They show people abusing and trying to see how much the mag can withstand. Needless to say the standard gi mags fail to hold up. Just look them up. If you ask me, any mag that can fire better that a standard mag with a bullet hole in it and half of the spring missing gets my vote any day. Now just to be sure you get my argument I'm not saying the pmags are invincible, they do fail but stand up to tougher (let's say tests) alot better than standard mags. Just YouTube them

Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #33

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
watching the behind the scenes show of sons of guns and one of the tards on the show just dropped a pmag out of an ar15 and two rounds popped out when it hit the table from about a foot and a half up...
Jon,
Basing any of one's choices on anything the "tards on the show" do puts one in their league, and I think you are way above that. Having said that, I have a couple of Orlite plastic mags I got during the Clinton gun ban of 94-04, and they do all right by me. Sons of Guns are idiots who shouldn't be trusted with a potato gun.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The thread title is "tactical tupperware"

Fitting.
Ironic isn't it that the thread takes an "anti-tactical tupperware" bent from the start, huh?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #35
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcguns View Post
Ironic isn't it that the thread takes an "anti-tactical tupperware" bent from the start, huh?
LOL, being the OP this makes me happy.......not a fan of tactical tupperware.

That typed i DO carry a PF-9 and DID purchase a Pmag...which slides into the AR better than the original factory mag.

I guess the best way to learn is try the stuff out and beat the hell outta it myself. If it works well, it gets good ratings from me...if not, you will definitely NOT hear the end of it.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

FMJ. if you decide you don't like it send it to me.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #37

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Guys really don't 3-5 sec rush anymore. Not once did I see a single person 3-5 in any of the times we took contact. In my experience it's nothing more than a training exercise.

Stock GI mags get bypassed as they are not as reliable as PMags. There's a reason manufacturers have started selling GI mags w/ Magpul followers. I use PMags as do many deployed soldiers of all levels. They even have an NSN #.

I understand sticking w/ what you know but you are missing out on the most reliable magazine on the market.

Polymer is flexible and more durable then the aluminum.

If it ain't broke improve on it
It all depends on "where" you take contact. If you talking downtown Tikrit or Kabul, urban environment, then sure, the 3-5 is probably not the preferred movement technique but in a woodland environment it's still quite practical and a basic component of fire and maneuver.

Tack

Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
It all depends on "where" you take contact. If you talking downtown Tikrit or Kabul, urban environment, then sure, the 3-5 is probably not the preferred movement technique but in a woodland environment it's still quite practical and a basic component of fire and maneuver.

Tack
Im sure one day we'll be at war in an environment like that but we haven't in some time. Even in the mnt. of Afghanistan we didn't 3-5. 3-5 didn't seem to smart of a move considering most of the contact came from above atop some cliff or ridge.

That's just my experience however. I'm glad this came up because I had never really thought about it until now. It's funny seeing as how much they stressed it in training.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
LOL, being the OP this makes me happy.......not a fan of tactical tupperware.

That typed i DO carry a PF-9 and DID purchase a Pmag...which slides into the AR better than the original factory mag.

I guess the best way to learn is try the stuff out and beat the hell outta it myself. If it works well, it gets good ratings from me...if not, you will definitely NOT hear the end of it.
That's an excellent plan and one I use myself. The internet can be misleading at first. Sometimes it save you a hassle (like paying extra for a Spikes 22lr conversion over the CMMG) and sometimes it's misleading, like people bitching about Glocks because they want to justify their $3K Wilson 1911 purchase.

My buddy likes mil spec mags, I started with pmags. Both run in their prospective guns which is all that counts IMO.

PMAG
- $10.00 each with no-tilt followers
- will run 30 with extra room for compression (I still run 28)
- tougher than aluminum or steel

what's not to like?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #40

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Im sure one day we'll be at war in an environment like that but we haven't in some time. Even in the mnt. of Afghanistan we didn't 3-5. 3-5 didn't seem to smart of a move considering most of the contact came from above atop some cliff or ridge.

That's just my experience however. I'm glad this came up because I had never really thought about it until now. It's funny seeing as how much they stressed it in training.
Yeah, we all tend to lump what works and doesn't work into our personal experiences and environment.

I live in the Pacific North West and a SHTF situation is the only way I'd ever have need to hit the groung quickly again. Sure it's unlikely, but train as you'll fight and have equipment that suits your environment is constant.

Tack