Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > tactical tupperware??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default tactical tupperware??

WTH is the big deal with PMAGS and the all the plastic 30 round mages for AR's??

They are EVERYWHERE!! i just cant wrap my head around the idea of PLASTIC magazines!

I am looking to buy some AR-Stoner stainless mags.

Thoughts?? Ideas?? Suggestions??

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

They are lighter and dont dent.
And the newer ones in the cold don't snap as easy.
You can also get ones with windows so you can see how many rounds you have.
They aren't as bad as they sound.
And they're cheaper in some cases.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

and the pmags work, without having to buy magpul followers. o.O

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

ive got a couple of pmags. i deem them range use only and they still annoy me.

problem i have with em is if you got a open bolt and slap one in a little rough or smack one to seat all rounds to the rear or drop one they tend to spew 3-4 rounds or more out like a volcano. really irritating if it does it while the rifle is cycling.

since the ones i have that are prone to doing that cant bend the feed lips due to being plastic i just got em marked for babying.

i stick with the aluminum milsurps. having to guess if a new mag is going to work right or not isnt my preference. not all the pmags i have do it only a couple. i try trading em off for milsurps at the range but ive only found one sucker so far

my opinion pmag is a pass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Thanks Jon.......your post only supports what my mind, from many years in metal fabrication, was telling me.

Besides, i smack the back of the mag to seat the rounds in the mag or seat the mag in the mag well, in the sub zeros of the upper midwest...i can only see breakage in the future

I dont like the idea of the aluminum mags either considering i have an aluminum mag well...aluminum does NOT slide well on aluminum....its a "tacky" metal by nature. The factory mag from PSA is Alum. and it does NOT like to seat. I am tghinking it due to alum/alum mating.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my opinion pmag is a pass.
+ 1 Jon,

I went with C Products 30 rounders. Good weigh and they work just fine!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Thanks Jon.......your post only supports what my mind, from many years in metal fabrication, was telling me.

Besides, i smack the back of the mag to seat the rounds in the mag or seat the mag in the mag well, in the sub zeros of the upper midwest...i can only see breakage in the future

I dont like the idea of the aluminum mags either considering i have an aluminum mag well...aluminum does NOT slide well on aluminum....its a "tacky" metal by nature. The factory mag from PSA is Alum. and it does NOT like to seat. I am tghinking it due to alum/alum mating.
try milsup mags adventure line or parsons are the best. if there is a big military base nearby you can almost always find em in pawnshops and milsurp stores around post. they are aluminum but they are anodized and your receiver is anodized. the milsurps are far enough distant in aluminum grade that they wont bind on milspec lowers. its another reason why going cheap on the receivers is a bad idea

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #8

I only use pmags for 223. They are $10.00 and have a no-tilt follower that can't be beat for the price.

The bottom plate allows for secure grip out of the mag chest harness without adding para cord retriever.

The 12 or so I've used have never spewed rounds out and I tap the backs I seat the rounds also.

Feedlips do not deform, and they have a lid for storing loaded for long periods of time to keep them stress free.

They also have built in rails that align the bullets for better feeding than a milspec which does not.

The only reason I own a few milspec mags (with magpul no-tilts) is for my 300 whisper which needs the slop up front due to the 220gr SMKs it runs.

pmags are good to go, people who bitch about them are mostly afraid of change and probably poo-poo'd the Glocks also, which has proven to be a superior answer to reliability also.

Last edited by dvcguns; 03-21-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Love my pmags, they have never done me wrong

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #10

Liked 1761 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

I bought a couple of 30 round pmags at sportsmans when I built my AR. They were $5!!! I figured ...for $5 why not. They have actually work good for me. No problems yet. Only shot about 500 rounds at the most though.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.