switching lowers
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

switching lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default switching lowers

if i buy a striped lower, can i keep all the arts that are on my current bush master lower? i want to get a metal lower, not carbon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #2

I don't think you can but not 100% sure on that, I know you could if it was metal to metal but I think carbon dimentions are diff. So it might not fit your upper....

Old 12-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBarton View Post
if i buy a striped lower, can i keep all the arts that are on my current bush master lower? i want to get a metal lower, not carbon
Actually, yes you can. My buddy has a Carbon 15 and the lower uses a standard LPK. He wasn't happy with the trigger so we replaced the trigger/hammer group with no issues other than the safety lever and trigger were a very snug fit but I've seen that on metal lowers too.

And the C15 upper operates correctly on a milspec lower, so yes you can do this. If you're saying you want to pull the LPK out of the C15 lower to install in a standard lower, yes you can but I'd recommend buying another LPK since you're liable to crack the C15 lower driving out the bolt hold open roll pin.

And you could remove the receiver extension and screw it into the metal lower but Bushmaster loctites it and the castle nut in tight as a drum so again you could crack the receiver trying to unscrew the tube.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Anyway, if you're on a tight budget I'd buy a good stripped lower like the PSA that's on sale for $49 now and put in their $49 LPK and a milspec receiver extension, H buffer/spring and the stock of your choice. You'd be out $200 or so and could use your C15 upper. Or you could go with something you'd really be proud of for another $100.

Then down the road no doubt you'll want another upper (because nobody can own two lowers and one upper for very long!) So then you marry the carbon receivers back together and keep it or sell it as a complete factory rifle. No muss no fuss - while trying to take parts from the C15 then put them back later, well that could be the creation of a black hole you'll have a rough time crawling back out of.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek