Switching the barrel and stock of my Colt AR-15=Impossible??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Switching the barrel and stock of my Colt AR-15=Impossible??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Switching the barrel and stock of my Colt AR-15=Impossible??

So here is the deal.

I inherited two AR-15's. One is a stock Colt AR-15 (Mil spec with standard everything) and also a Bushmaster AR-15 with short barrel and telescopic stock.

I had the "bright" idea of switching the barrel's and stocks because I wanted the Colt with the shorter barrel. But much to my dismay I can't remove the stock from the Colt AR-15. It is an older model, so is this just the way it is.

Also, I can't remove the upper receiver from the lower receiver.

What the heck is going on? The Bushmaster comes apart no problem.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintandSteel View Post
So here is the deal.

I inherited two AR-15's. One is a stock Colt AR-15 (Mil spec with standard everything) and also a Bushmaster AR-15 with short barrel and telescopic stock.

I had the "bright" idea of switching the barrel's and stocks because I wanted the Colt with the shorter barrel. But much to my dismay I can't remove the stock from the Colt AR-15. It is an older model, so is this just the way it is.

Also, I can't remove the upper receiver from the lower receiver.

What the heck is going on? The Bushmaster comes apart no problem.
can you post some pics...might help.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
can you post some pics...might help.
This is the Colt I have:

This is the bushmaster:

The buffer unscrews really easily on the bushmaster but looks like it cannot be taken off of the Colt.

Is this some kind of old school Colt design thing?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #4

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I guess you're saying you want to swap uppers between the two ARs? Well the Colt probably has the non-standard size pivot pin so you're gonna have trouble. If you're saying you want to swap stocks that can happen but really, why do it?

I'd keep the Colt original, there's no need to put Bushmaster parts on it. Besides its value to people who appreciate a fine old gun, it should have value to you as a family heirloom. Whoever passed it on to you probably wanted it to stay original and in the family.

As you get older you'll be sorry that you dicked around with something special. Definitely leave it alone and enjoy it! Mess around with the Bushmaster instead.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I guess you're saying you want to swap uppers between the two ARs? Well the Colt probably has the non-standard size pivot pin so you're gonna have trouble. If you're saying you want to swap stocks that can happen but really, why do it?

I'd keep the Colt original, there's no need to put Bushmaster parts on it. Besides its value to people who appreciate a fine old gun, it should have value to you as a family heirloom. Whoever passed it on to you probably wanted it to stay original and in the family.

As you get older you'll be sorry that you dicked around with something special. Definitely leave it alone and enjoy it! Mess around with the Bushmaster instead.
Maybe your right.

I just love the function of the Colt but love the short barrel and stock of the bushmaster.

Might keep the Colt as is and mess around with the Bushmaster.

I still wish I had the option to swap everything out though.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

the colt parts are removable. colt just torques everything down to milspec or used to. you can get offset pin for the front takedown pin on the colt to adapt small size pins tot he colt lower. however i dont recomend doing so and ruining a classic rifle. just keep the colt as-is and muck around with the bushmaster.

i know that if whomever ends up with my old colt SP1 jacks around with it i WILL come up out of the grave and slap them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

That looks like an older Colt SP-1 A-1 HBAR. What does the SE# start with?

You can take the upper off. Show us a close up of both sides of the receivers on the colt.

Whne you do get them seperated the colt will have larger pivot pin holes so you will need an offset bushing for the upper section to fit on the bushmaster and an off set pin for the bushmaster upper on the colt.

The colt buttstock will come off. two screws on the face of the butt, take top one out and stock will pull off the buffer tube. Should be able to see if the tube is staked at that point. Once you determine that, don't forget to remove the buffer and spring and retainer.

It can be done BUT WHY DO IT!?!?!?!?!

Leave the colt alone. monkey with the bushmaster, it deservers to me monkeyed with.

I'll give ya 500.00 for the COLT, CASH Money!!!! Hell I'll even pay the shipping.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

DON'T swap anything b/w rifles!!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
I'll give ya 500.00 for the COLT, CASH Money!!!! Hell I'll even pay the shipping.
Negative. Sorry man.

For now I am going to leave both rifles as they are.

Last edited by FlintandSteel; 04-07-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #10

damnit!!, Oh well. Keep me in mind, I will go 550.00 plus shipping, BUT THAT'S MY LAST OFFER!

Jez, what'ya think I'm made of money here, or what?