Swapped my buttstock for magul buttstock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Swapped my buttstock for magul buttstock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Swapped my buttstock for magul buttstock

I swapped my original buttstock out for a magpul. I installed the new buttstock with the new buffer and buffer spring and now when I release the charging handle it sounds like the spring in the new buttstock is shaking or "ringing". The old buffer was longer than the new buffer. My question is, is that normal for the new spring and buffer to make that sound? I don't remember if my old buffer made that sound I don't think it did. Should I install the old buffer with the new spring and aftermarket buttstock? Thanks

Ben

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Ok, you didn't replace the receiver extension, right?

Anyway, the buffers should be the same length, the springs should be close. If there's a big difference maybe you're mixing rifle and carbine buffers/springs.

What was the reason for buying a new spring and buffer along with the Magpul stock? To get an H buffer?

Ringing? Are you chambering a round or just letting the bolt slam against the barrel extension?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 06-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

Bensar,

If you purchased the Magpul Stock & Extension Tube (Buffer Tube) Kit with the spring and buffer for it. Just take the spring out and lube it with well with a good lube like Breakfree, G-96, Frog Lube other good lube. That should stop the ringing sound, it is just dry! That is a normal issue if you bought all the components as a kit! If you purchased them seperately as Quentin referred to that could be another issue.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Thank you Quentin and Sniper03 for replying. I purchased the buttstock off a guy from armslist.com. It was a even swap out. The springs are from what I remember the same length it is the buffers that are different lengths. The original buffer is probably 2" longer than the buffer that came with the aftermarket buttstock. The only reason I installed the new spring and shorter buffer is because I thought I had too and they came in the package with the buttstock. I still have the original spring and buffer should I put those back in with the aftermarket buttstock? And the ringing is from just letting the blot slam I'm not chambering any ammo. Is this OK to fire like this or should I go back to the old spring and buffer? Thanks

Ben

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

It also came with the extension tube as well that I also installed.

Ben

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Not to hijack the thread but would a "carbine" buffer be the same thing as an "H" buffer? Like the one in this link.

http://quentin-laser.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=229

Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

If your old buffer is 2" longer don't use it with the new buffer tube. If the Magpul kit was sealed and not a mixmaster then use the new parts not your old ones.

pawjr74, carbine buffers come in standard, H, H2, H3, 9mm weights. No doubt there are more. They're used with the normal M4 adjustable stocks. Rifle buffers are a different creature and must be used in a rifle receiver extension.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.