Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Suggestions on a new barrel ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/suggestions-new-barrel-69912/)

Riverg420 08-08-2012 06:52 PM

Suggestions on a new barrel ?

I got a great deal on a AR last year $600.00 :D.It's a Stag lower and upper with a DPMS stainless 16" bull barrel .223 1:9 twist. I'am wanting something for plinking and when the SHTF chambered in 5.56 .leaning toward a 1:8 twist ? suggestions on that would be appreciated. I've been thinking about a Daneil Defense Barrel any thoughts on those ? and thoughts on a cold hammer forged barrel ? Open to suggestions on other brands . looking to spend no more than $ 300.00 .All suggestionns would be apprectiated .

Quentin 08-08-2012 07:32 PM

I have a Daniel Defense upper receiver group/16" lightweight midlength barrel which is cold hammer forged and 1/7". You can buy a stripped DD URG for around $409 at smartgunner.com, if in stock. This of course is more than you said but it includes the receiver and barrel which I would do instead of replacing the existing barrel in an upper (in fact it would be better to sell it complete and replace with what you want unless you can do the labor). Nice to have two uppers and you could share your BCG, charging handle and sights to start out.

I also have an almost identical BCM upper except it is not hammer forged. Honestly I can't tell the difference, nice to have but not required.

GREGULON 08-08-2012 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rainier Arms makes great barrels using the same methods as Noveske at a lower price. Got a 16" Stainless Steel 1:8 and it was the best upgrade I done on my rifle.

GREGULON 08-08-2012 07:36 PM

I spent $225 on it. It's the match grade not the ultra match.

JonM 08-08-2012 07:38 PM

I have a couple of barrels 1:7 1:8 1:9 and 1:12. One is hammer forged and is extremely accurate for a chrome lined. I really really like my 1:8 which is a wilson cryoed airgauged. The 1:8 likes 69grn the hammer forged likes 75 grn but shoots pretty decent with 55grn.

Most accurate ar15 barrels are being turned out by white oak followed very damn close by wilson(not the 1911 parts people) you can get wilsons from rockriverarms and white oak from white oak

Daniel defense doesnt make their own not sure who they source from.

Finding just a barrel is pretty hard nowadays expect to wait.

Hammer forged is primarily for people who are going to run the gun hard as in full auto. I ordered the one i have by accident. If your going to run steel cased stuff chrome lined chamber is very good as it pretty much eliminates stuck case fte issue that can arise using steel cases

GaMatt72 08-08-2012 07:58 PM

I went with this Daniel Defense.

Shop more Daniel Defense products All Daniel Defense Cold Hammer Forged AR-15 Barrels are constructed of Mil-Spec 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel that is hydraulically shaped by carbide steel hammers around a precision machined mandrel to form the chamber, lands, and grooves. The hammer forging process creates a defect-free bore with the most consistent chamber possible, and each of Daniel Defense's barrels undergoes a Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) test to insure this standard of perfection is achieved. Barrels feature a chrome lined chamber and bore, providing easy clean-up, reduced wear and corrosion resistance. The barrel extension incorporates M4 feed ramps for increased reliability. Chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO for full compatibility with both commercial and surplus mil-spec ammunition. Comes with pre-installed barrel extension and locator pin.

Technical Information:

Length: 16"
Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium, Cold Hammer Forged
Contour: Government
Chamber: 5.56x45mm NATO
Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
Chrome Lined: Yes
Finish: Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate
M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
Muzzle Thread Pattern: 1/2"-28
Gas Port Location: Mid
Exterior Diameter at Gas Port: 0.750"

Anch368 08-09-2012 01:00 AM

I have an 18" DD and I love the barrel. I also have a Noveske 18" and this barrel is by far the greatest of all the ones I have. Yes it is outside of your budget but you are talking about the barrel here, the single most important part of the gun in regards to the durability and accuracy for the gun. Noveske's 16" Recon barrel is Cold Hammer Forged and has polygonal rifling (1 in 7 twist) which significantly increases accuracy (I use a 68 gr Hornady BTHP, which mine loves). Double the chrome lining of other barrels and will truly outlast any other barrel out there. It also has a Match Mod O chamber for reliability in feeding and extracting, and runs a mid length gas system instead of carbine which shows improved reliability. It comes with the gas block and gas tube as well. I promise you that you will not regret putting one of these on any AR. I will only put Noveske barrel's on AR's now! Hope this helps. FYI I ordered mine from Tactical Gear Group and just checked and they have the 16" Recon for $430. $130 bucks more...well spent!!

Anch368 08-09-2012 01:04 AM

In regards to twist rate you can find a lot of information out there but 1 in 7 will take anything up to 75 gr 1 in 8 is about the same 1 in 9 I wouldn't go over 70 gr, 1 in 10 and 1 in 12 are meant for 55 gr. And all of them will shoot any 5.56 you throw through it but in terms of accuracy go for the 1 in 7 and stick with 68 gr or higher.. also likes mil surp 62 gr!

AgentTikki 08-09-2012 04:42 AM

QUOTE=Riverg420;897223]I got a great deal on a AR last year $600.00 :D.It's a Stag lower and upper with a DPMS stainless 16" bull barrel .223 1:9 twist. I'am wanting something for plinking and when the SHTF chambered in 5.56 .leaning toward a 1:8 twist ? suggestions on that would be appreciated. I've been thinking about a Daneil Defense Barrel any thoughts on those ? and thoughts on a cold hammer forged barrel ? Open to suggestions on other brands . looking to spend no more than $ 300.00 .All suggestionns would be apprectiated .[/QUOTE]

Plinking shtf 5.56mm chf? Get a Daniel Defense, BCM, & Palmetto State Armory off the top of my head.

The only 1/8 twist 5.56 that comes to mind is a S&W's and I've never seen it sold seperately.

Check out ar15performance for exceptional low cost melonited barrels.

AgentTikki 08-09-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anch368 (Post 897562)
In regards to twist rate you can find a lot of information out there but 1 in 7 will take anything up to 75 gr 1 in 8 is about the same 1 in 9 I wouldn't go over 70 gr, 1 in 10 and 1 in 12 are meant for 55 gr. And all of them will shoot any 5.56 you throw through it but in terms of accuracy go for the 1 in 7 and stick with 68 gr or higher.. also likes mil surp 62 gr!

Ok, wha what? Where wut? Huh? NO.

This is fud. Nothing to see here move on.