Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > suggestions for my first ar...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default suggestions for my first ar...

Hey all...I just joined the forum and would like to get your opinions on the best AR's....I'm not new to shooting, just new to the AR platform....any info would be helpful....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

welcome to FTF the greatest place on the web. How about jumping over to the introductions threa and giving us some bio?

as for your AR request info - read the stickies, read the build threads ..... then read them again. Once you have done that come back and let us know what you want/need the AR to do, from there we can help you figure out what you need/want for your AR

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4460 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 255

best for what??

for zombie shooting taking carbine classes homedefense i like my BCM midlength lightweight

for target shooting with open sights not much beats an RRA national Match

for varminting the RRA varmint series are about as good as it gets for a decent price.

going el-cheapo range plinker only S&W M&P are decent as is stag.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
going el-cheapo range plinker only S&W M&P are decent as is stag.
since when? you been drinking mike's kool aid?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 180 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Nothing is best. Budget which makes it best. Lol
My suggestions will probably go to BCM, DD, Noveske and Spike's.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4460 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
since when? you been drinking mike's kool aid?
LOL no. just giving my opinion. if he chooses dpms or bushmaster or huldra its no skin off my nose. i cant list every brand off the top of my head.

the reason i choose rra for accuracy is because they build their stuff to tighter dimensions than milspec and use extremely excellent barrels from wilson for their higher end models. i pieced my rra NM A2 together and the upper mates up so tight with the lower i can shine a light on one side and cant see any bleed through on the other. there is absolutly no wiggle whatsoever. im running a RRA chromed BCG in my national match as i dont want a lot of oil and junk in getting on my ammo and seeping into the magazine. so the chromed bcg means i only have to lightly oil for target shooting. the carrier is (blasphemy) not staked nor does it need to be since it is not being run hard or fast. the only knock ive got on my RRA is the front sight post detent spring was severely rusted and has since been replaced. i dont think they used any grease and someone with sweaty hands put it together.

bcm and colt i have experience with as i do with dpms and stag and SW. i think SW for some models are a little overpriced for what your getting but their base models are actually a good buy for the quality. if you could get a DPMS with no BCG or LPK you could do something nice with it. what brings DPMS down is their not so hot internals.

the LPK in my BCM is less than desired i should have gotten a stripped lower and put a giesselle in it. right now ive replaced the bcm lpk with RRA 2 stage.

thats kinda why i have chosen what i have. my bcm is a go to zombie war gun its purpose built to be an ohsht rifle

nothing wrong with going low end price wise for an ar15 long as you dont get upset if it doesnt perform like a POF or Colt

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1631 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

I'm curious what y'all think is considered, all around, best bang for your buck. AR15 in 223

Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I'm curious what y'all think is considered, all around, best bang for your buck. AR15 in 223

Again, it depends on what you want it for. Myself, I don't think you can beat my BCM for bang for the buck. Accurate enough to put lead on target down the hill, takes a beating, and isn't a prom queen that wants a lube and wax after every time it sees the out doors.
Other opinions may vary.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyone out their builds an AR15 that is worth $2k or more. For that kind of money you can buy all top of the line components and assemble it yourself for much less.

So if you do your part right and properly assemble an AR15 with a match grade barrel than for sure you should get sub MOA accuracy. A top quality bcg and the AR should run long and run hard.

What else is needed other than accuracy and durability?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyone out their builds an AR15 that is worth $2k or more. For that kind of money you can buy all top of the line components and assemble it yourself for much less.

So if you do your part right and properly assemble an AR15 with a match grade barrel than for sure you should get sub MOA accuracy. A top quality bcg and the AR should run long and run hard.

What else is needed other than accuracy and durability?
2k? I'd build two of mine and have enough left over for lotsa bullets!!!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?