Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Suggestion Box!

View Poll Results: What Working Upper for a Spare Lower?
7.62 x 39mm 2 15.38%
5.45 x 39mm 5 38.46%
.223/5.56 x 345mm 3 23.08%
OTHER, explain. 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Grendel is a great target round, no doubt, but man it is expensive to load for. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Are you really going to be using it for bear? Its probably as likely as me making it down to Texas to hunt hogs. Thats the reason behind the .300 AAC build anyway. Id go 5.56. If youre needing a little more oomf go 75grain.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Are you really going to be using it for bear?
Lord I sure hope not! The only reason I mentioned it is because that is basically the ONLY threat I would ever encounter in the Region(s) of the Rockies that we frequent. Other than a couple of drunk campers and my Dog usually prevents that from being a problem.

Since this gun will be riding along, mostly just to shoot occasionally in a few remote areas, it would be sensible for it to be atop the food chain. . . That's all.

I carry a handgun (.44 mag or .357 loaded hot w/ 220 gr hard cast) capable of protection with in my immediate threat zone. I guess "All Purpose" mountain shooter would be more accurate.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
As much sense as the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 make ON PAPER, in practicality they are not good choices.

For a cheap plinker where reliability is not required to be 100% they are fine.
Now I'm almost leaning towards selling the rifle and going with another AK for the woods, I just balk at the idea of having the ammo in my possession, be the limit of my supply. With the .223, most small town pawn, gun or sporting goods stores will usually have some sort of supply. I guess I tend to view almost any gun that I spend a lot of time with as a "Worst case scenario" type gun.

I also want to familiarize my wife with the AR-15 and possibly the AK-47 (74 more like) so she can help protect our family in a "worst case" scenario.

Maybe I ought to let her piece together an upper and throw it on this lower?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Now I'm almost leaning towards selling the rifle and going with another AK for the woods, I just balk at the idea of having the ammo in my possession, be the limit of my supply. With the .223, most small town pawn, gun or sporting goods stores will usually have some sort of supply. I guess I tend to view almost any gun that I spend a lot of time with as a "Worst case scenario" type gun.

I also want to familiarize my wife with the AR-15 and possibly the AK-47 (74 more like) so she can help protect our family in a "worst case" scenario.

Maybe I ought to let her piece together an upper and throw it on this lower?
Build it. Let her spec it out and she will probably like it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's what I'm thinking. . . This thing (lower) feels like it outta be more than just a toy, maybe I could talk her into a piston upper?

I know that's not a popular idea around here, but I gotta have one in the safe. I really like the two I've shot (LWRC and Ruger), but that's a little expensive for this type of gun.

On the other hand I could turn out a nice DI like the rest and spend some time on a piston upper that could be a floater.

I think I got it. . . and it's becoming a good chunk (well, ALL) of my toy budget.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
That's what I'm thinking. . . This thing (lower) feels like it outta be more than just a toy, maybe I could talk her into a piston upper?

I know that's not a popular idea around here, but I gotta have one in the safe. I really like the two I've shot (LWRC and Ruger), but that's a little expensive for this type of gun.

On the other hand I could turn out a nice DI like the rest and spend some time on a piston upper that could be a floater.

I think I got it. . . and it's becoming a good chunk (well, ALL) of my toy budget.
A good DI will run until long after your ammo budget runs out, most likely. The Pistons stay cooler, but I'm not sure they are worth the expense.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."