Sub 1k AR?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sub 1k AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sub 1k AR?

I'm looking to buy an AR style rifle. I'd like to stay under 1K, since I may add optics to it. What have y'all owned in the sub 1K range that impressed you?
OR, is it cheaper to build one from scratch?

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You'll save at least 20% of the final cost if you build it yourself. If you change the points and spark plugs on your CJ, you can build an AR.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Plenty of Threads going now about building information. junho recently built a 16" model from scratch for less than $700, which is well within your range.

Several of the existing threads have links to deals that people have found and posted. Cruise through the last few pages of the hot AR threads for some good ideas and discussion if you are interested in building your own.

Sloready just found a great how to guide over at Brownells that he posted on Sunday I believe. Really good stuff.

PM me if you have any specific questions...

JD

Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #4

Alan Samuels of MachineGunTours is selling Sabre Defence SR15s for 799.00:

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9900

Quote:
I have several complete Sabre Defence SR-15 rifles straight from the factory that shipped with a 16inch 1x9 Chrome lined barrel with M4 Feed Ramps, Vanadium Alloy Government Contour Mid-length Barrel. They come with the soft carrying case and 2 30rd mags for $799. The upper alone retails for $799 on their website.

I'm not affiliated with them and get nothing. I just think it's a great deal on an excellent 600.00 upper mated to a near indestructable lower.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

^ That is a good price. I wonder why the blow out pricing though?

Either way, even if they are re-tooling their line and phasing these out, it's still a good price for a very respectable unit. Great kit pricing that comes with just about everything you need....

JD

Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ That is a good price. I wonder why the blow out pricing though?

Either way, even if they are re-tooling their line and phasing these out, it's still a good price for a very respectable unit. Great kit pricing that comes with just about everything you need....

JD
Look at the lower. Doesn't it look a little strange to you?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Yes, it does. I believe that is their all molded, poly-something or other variant. The thing is all one piece, so it kind of negates the ability to do things like putting a collapsible stock on there, or changing out the pistol grip for say, a Ergo type, or something. On the other side of the coin, there are two spots that won't loosen up on you. *shrug*

I've held it, it feels good. I don't know if it's the way I would go for a high end build, but for the price, it's a good unit for a good price.

JD

Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

It's a Cavalry Arms lower receiver/stock #CAV-15 MKII Receiver

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html

Slo

Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yes, it does. I believe that is their all molded, poly-something or other variant. The thing is all one piece, so it kind of negates the ability to do things like putting a collapsible stock on there, or changing out the pistol grip for say, a Ergo type, or something. On the other side of the coin, there are two spots that won't loosen up on you. *shrug*

I've held it, it feels good. I don't know if it's the way I would go for a high end build, but for the price, it's a good unit for a good price.

JD
No...no super secret lower by Sabre But you are right...it's not the lower I would put on a high end upper like Sabre. But to each his own. Maybe that's one of Sabre's 'seconds' or their intro level piece

But typically, Sabre is one of the better makes out there. Nothing against Cav Arms. I made sure to support them earlier this year by buying a few of their lowers after the ATF raided them From what I've heard, things are getting back to normal and no formal charges were filed against them or proof of any wrong doing.

Slo

Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #10

Well Slo has the link and it appears to be solid intel. I have held that lower before at SHOT, and I was sure it was on the Sabre unit at the time, but I stand corrected... Apologies one and all.

JD