Stupid Newb Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stupid Newb Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stupid Newb Question

So after some good advice in my other thread on shooting accuracy, I general shot better this w/e when standing and not resting the gun on the bench.

But I have a real stupid question that I can't seem to work out. As I mentioned in the other thread, I have the Eotech 552. I'm not understanding how you can keep the optical sight zeroed between trips to the range. I take it off to clean the rifle after a day at the range, and then when I go back to the range and put it on, of course I have to zero it again. So I have this install-zero-shoot-remove-clean-install-zero vicious circle going.

>>How do you guys keep your optics zeroed and ready to go after cleaning your rifle and before the next trip to the range? Are you leaving the optic on the rifle when you clean the rifle?

jbw
NRA Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I leave my scopes on when cleaning most of the time. But I have taken them off several times and put them back on the rail in the same location without loosing zero. If you put the Eotech back in the same location you shouldn't loose your zero. I use a scope and a red dot on my 44 Mag revolver and I have never had a problem with loosing zero on either just mark the rail where you put your optics on and put it back in the exact location when reinstalling.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There is really never a reason to pull your scope unless your rifle has been completely dropped in mud/water/oil.

Having said that, there are several makers of scope mounts out there that allow for a quick removal and return to zero - though no one guarantees ABSOLUTE zero...

I believe Larue Tactical out of Texas makes such an animal and usually includes it with most of their EoTech packages, but I have never personally played with it....

Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I didn't get it back on the same groove in the rail that I had it on the first time. From now on, I'll just leave it on the rifle when I clean it. Thanks again!

jbw
NRA Member