Stripped Lowers and uppers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stripped Lowers and uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Stripped Lowers and uppers

Okay experts.

We are all having trouble finding parts for builds. Brownell's has been out of stripped uppers. They have a bunch of Aero Precision uppers in stock now for like $72.00 each. Aren't they made for Spike as an off brand? I know they are made for some company but I can't find where I saw the information.

Next questions same old dilemma. I bought two CMMG lowers, $ 119.00 each I could have gotten S&W for $ 149.00 each. Gunsmith said they did a hardness test on the steel same quality. ???? (I built one lower already, I did use a DPMS parts kit because it was available and put a CMMG 9mm upper from CTD). Fire testing sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the clarity or confusion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

1st question - Who makes Spikes lowers? Correct?

2nd question - ?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #3

Liked 1079 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
... We are all having trouble finding parts for builds. Brownell's has been out of stripped uppers. They have a bunch of Aero Precision uppers in stock now for like $72.00 each. Aren't they made for Spike as an off brand? I know they are made for some company but I can't find where I saw the information.

Next questions same old dilemma. I bought two CMMG lowers, $ 119.00 each I could have gotten S&W for $ 149.00 each. Gunsmith said they did a hardness test on the steel same quality. ???? (I built one lower already, I did use a DPMS parts kit because it was available and put a CMMG 9mm upper from CTD). Fire testing sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the clarity or confusion.
Yeah that second paragraph is confusion not clarity.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry Mike, the second question was about thoughts on CMMG versus S&W. Lowers.

My ultimate purchase when I'm totally sure of myself will either be DD or Larue Tactical parts for a build.

I guess if I'm purchasing off the shelf Les Baer would be a quality pick.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #5

The CMMG lower is all right, not finished as well as the S&W and probably the magwell isn't flared as nicely but it'll work.

And your gunsmith is an idiot. The AR receivers are not steel.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #6

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking - are you asking if Aero Precision is a brand of Spikes? or are you asking if Aero Precision is a quality lower?

When it comes to receivers (lower or upper) it is pretty simple - it is either Mil-Spec, better than Mil-Spec or not Mil-Spec. If it's Mil-Spec than the receiver is built to the same standards as all other Mil-Spec receivers.

Personally, I would tend to lean towards Mil-Spec or better ... but maybe I'm weird like that

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quentin, I believe DPMS the dreaded brand around here makes a Stainless Steel receiver in black.

Anything that is not polymer is some kind of steel. Whether It is an alloy or not, correct? I believe there is testing for hardness of all metals.

Don't think calling someone an idiot is necessarily the right way to be but he may be ignorant like me as to terminology.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Quentin, I believe DPMS the dreaded brand around here makes a Stainless Steel receiver in black.

Anything that is not polymer is some kind of steel. Whether It is an alloy or not, correct? I believe there is testing for hardness of all metals.

Don't think calling someone an idiot is necessarily the right way to be but he may be ignorant like me as to terminology.
You were talking about CMMG and S&W not other brands and said "Gunsmith said they did a hardness test on the steel same quality. ????" If so, he was a liar or an idiot.

We're talking aluminum not steel.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 07-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Probably just good ole boy BS here in Oklahoma. Some folks if they don't have knowledge BS through anything.

BTW, your statement was AR's are not steel which took our conversation to other brands. But it doesn't really matter.

Mike I do know one smith that is top notch. He's out of the business except for teaching a basic gunsmithing course at the Vo-tech here. Worked for a family owned store and they had a nephew come in and literally ruin their name and the business.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #10

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
No they do not, they make a Mil Spec aluminum receiver that is coated black.

Quote:
Anything that is not polymer is some kind of steel.
Incorrectomundo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

Quote:
Sorry, if he is a Gunsmith he should no the difference between aluminum and steel and know the proper terminology. If he doesn't than thus he is an idiot

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by JonM; 07-08-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Quentin Likes This