Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Stripped/assembled uppers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stripped-assembled-uppers-23421/)

Zacsquatch 02-15-2010 02:58 AM

Stripped/assembled uppers

Who's uppers should I stay away from who are the bee's knees..

I am in the market for an upper, stripped or one with just the forward assist and dust cover ect.. Flat top as well.

I have looked at midway and seen their yankee hill for $119 assembled and 95 stripped... Are these decent or should I be looking elseware.

Dillinger 02-15-2010 03:13 AM

Yes. Yankee Hill is a fine company and they stand behind their products. Certainly on the better end of the spectrum.

A receiver is a receiver as long as it's not some Chinese pot metal crap.

You want ELITE, you need to consider a custom house that isn't going to sell you a stripped anything.

Outside of that, if you have an upper receiver that has been made with modern tools and equipment in the US of A, you should have no problems mating your upper to your lower and having a great weapon.

JD

canebrake 02-15-2010 05:58 AM

I've had good dealings with these guys:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Upper

DarinCraft 02-15-2010 06:01 AM

Like JD said they are all pretty much the same except for the custom shops. Then you get some nice features but you pay for them. VLTOR's are nice, so nice in fact thats all Noveske will use.

slowryde45 02-15-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 230675)
I've had good dealings with these guys:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Upper

Definitely a +1 for Rainier. It's usually Rainier, PK Firearms, Bravo Co., or AR15Sales.com that get my $$.

And as for Noveske, this is from an interview with John Noveske...in defensereview.com John Noveske Interview

Quote:

Crane: Who’s doin’ your lowers?

Noveske: The lowers on our rifles are made by CMT [Continental Machine and Tool]. We had some made by LAR [LAR Manufacturing, Inc.] with a B prefix on the serial number, but that was a limited production run. We have a PO into another company, but it will depend on approval of the samples.

Crane: What about your upper receiver?

Noveske: I have uppers made for me by CMT for MILSPEC and then, of course, the VIS and MUR are made by Vltor.

So, while they do use some Vltor products, it is not ALL they use ;) Note: - CMT and LAR make lowers for quite a few manufacturers in the AR field. CMT also produces their own line of AR's...more commonly known as,....STAG:cool:

DarinCraft 02-15-2010 09:17 PM

damn I need to proof read my posts. Half the time I use the wrong words and get myself into trouble...

hillbilly68 02-16-2010 12:05 AM

BCM...awesome.

YHM, good tolerances, they make good stuff. Almost under priced.

VLTOR are overpriced IMO. They are good, but way too expensive when you can get a BCM.

slowryde45 02-16-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacsquatch (Post 230587)
Who's uppers should I stay away from who are the bee's knees..

I am in the market for an upper, stripped or one with just the forward assist and dust cover ect.. Flat top as well.

I have looked at midway and seen their yankee hill for $119 assembled and 95 stripped... Are these decent or should I be looking elseware.

as hillbilly stated, it's hard to beat Bravo Company's receivers.

bravo co. upper receivers

Or you could check out Rainier Arms, they stock an assortment of brands, too:
Rainier Arms - upper receivers

PK Firearms also stocks an assortment - one thing I do like about them, is that if you see the item on their site, it IS in stock;)
PK Firearms - upper receivers

Also, check out AR15sales.com (aka - Legal Transfers, LLC) he stocks mainly Rock River, Stag, and LMT, but has some of the best prices in town.
ar15sales.com - upper receivers and AR parts

Brand names don't mean too much anymore in AR receivers, other than the roll mark you care to see on the side of yours. If you want a particular brand name, then by all means you should shop for that name. Where you will see a noticeable difference is if you compare Billet parts to forged parts, but you will also pay for that. But, know that anymore there are a handful of manufacturers out there who are making most of the receivers for the industry. ;) For the most part, I think if you stay with a forged upper and lower receiver, you'll be good to go.

Slo

hillmillenia 02-16-2010 12:29 AM

#1 on BCM. These guys really give a s**t and will stand 100% behind what they sell period!