striped lower registration?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > striped lower registration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default striped lower registration?

if i buy a lower that's registered as a pistol i know that I build it into a rifle but does that work both ways? can I strip off the stock from my rifle and replace the necessary parts then just throw a pistol upper on without having to notify LLE or ATF?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

While I don't know what state you are in so I cannot speak for your state laws. When a stripped lower is Acquired by a dealer and then sold it is done in the category of "other" and "receiver". The feds and all paperwork associated do not consider it a rifle or pistol.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What I believe is the case (but don't know for a 100% fact)...

A new stripped lower is a new lower. Period. It can be built into a rifle or a pistol.

A lower that's been previously used on a pistol can become a 16"+ rifle with no issues.

A lower that's been used on a rifle can not become a pistol. Only virgin AR lowers or those that have always been used as pistol lowers can have pistols built upon them without extra paperwork and headaches.

That's the rule as I understand it. I could be wrong. I could just be some internet wack-job for all you know.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
What I believe is the case (but don't know for a 100% fact)...

A new stripped lower is a new lower. Period. It can be built into a rifle or a pistol. This is not true , if that lower has rifle stamped into the side it cannot be registered as a pistol lower, We just had this happen on 50 LRB lowers they say US Rifle on the side and due to this we could not legally register them as a pistol lower this did not go over great with a few in the group buy but they took them anyway since they were so cheap

A lower that's been previously used on a pistol can become a 16"+ rifle with no issues.

A lower that's been used on a rifle can not become a pistol. Only virgin AR lowers or those that have always been used as pistol lowers can have pistols built upon them without extra paperwork and headaches.

That's the rule as I understand it. I could be wrong. I could just be some internet wack-job for all you know. This is quite possible but some think the same of me also

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-03-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Once it is made into a rifle, it cannot go back to being a pistol. It would then, as the ATF would prhrase it, become a "firearm made FROM a rifle", and be considered an SBR.

Please do not ask me to explain the logic behind that. This IS the Fedral Gummint we are speaking of here.....

There ARE limited exceptions to that- I believe the Thompson Contender was ONE limited exception. But be VERY careful with this.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 1910 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

If a contender is a rifle when it is new, it is illegal to use a pistol barrel on it. The way I understand it is if it started as a pistol you can go back and forth. But not if it was a rifle.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.