Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > stove pipe jams on rem r 15 30ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stove pipe jams on rem r 15 30ar

took new gun after cleaning it to range to sight in. rem is the only one makin ammo for it so went with 150 gr cl out of 36 rounds had 2 stove pipe jams it is picking up new round and locking backwhen mag is empty.cleaned again 12 rounds 2 jams same thing casing pinched halfway out neck facing out with new round being picked up. cleaned again this time removing bolt from carrier. a little dirty but not real bad. put spent casing on bolt face rocked it on the ejecter seem s good. gun is under warranty but it wont be forever so would like to be able to fix myself if possible. lookin for some input .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

I am by no means an expert, but I would pull the bolt again, and inspect the gas ring alignment on the ring gaps. If two or all three of the ring gaps are lined up then it will cause poor cycling due to excess gas escaping and not being useful for the action. All 3 ring gaps must be in different spots around the bolt.

I would also look at the ejector. The extractor sounds like it is working but if the spring or plunger of the ejector is dirty and or compressed and moving freely then it wont have the necessary pressure to kick out the spent shell. Make sure any shipping gunk is cleaned out of this real good. The Action is getting sufficient gas flow through the gas tube and gas block to move the action back and pick up the next round... Does recoil feel consistent when shooting?

Good luck and keep us posted. And WE NEED PICKS bot of this new beast and of the jam, if you have them.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

looked at the rings an two were lined up so changed that. not sure how much tension is needed on plunger but seems to not to stick

Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

checked ring alingment two were lined up changed that. havent fired since. ejector doesnt seem to be sticking didnt take apart in inspect though.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I am by no means an expert, but I would pull the bolt again, and inspect the gas ring alignment on the ring gaps. If two or all three of the ring gaps are lined up then it will cause poor cycling due to excess gas escaping and not being useful for the action. All 3 ring gaps must be in different spots around the bolt.

I would also look at the ejector. The extractor sounds like it is working but if the spring or plunger of the ejector is dirty and or compressed and moving freely then it wont have the necessary pressure to kick out the spent shell. Make sure any shipping gunk is cleaned out of this real good. The Action is getting sufficient gas flow through the gas tube and gas block to move the action back and pick up the next round... Does recoil feel consistent when shooting?

Good luck and keep us posted. And WE NEED PICKS bot of this new beast and of the jam, if you have them.
What he said. ^^ And I will add, it could have been an ammo/brass casing, issue as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

well i thought of that to so ordered some 125 gr psp core loc instead of 150 gr but rem is only one makin ammo dont know if changin just that will make a difference

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7

when i removed ejector to clean everetthing seemed ok. looked at manual and it showed o ring around spring. there was not one on gun. problem?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

meant extractor

Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaynbux View Post
when i removed ejector to clean everetthing seemed ok. looked at manual and it showed o ring around spring. there was not one on gun. problem?
I would not suspect an ammo issue. Factory ammo not reloads and designed for the gun.

The gas rings are my bet. The extractor seams to be working with or with out the o ring thingy. It is the Ejector I was interested in.

Try shooting it now, I am willing to bet that it was the aligned O rings. If even two are gapped up it can screw up the cycling.

Use a punch or even a spent case on the bolt and depress the ejector with the lip of the spent case hooked in the extractor. If is moves back and forth freely then it was the gas rings. If it id tough or moves with some resistance then it may be sticking and not pushing the spent case off the bolt face as it should. Clean and Lube and repair as needed OR send the gun back with your findings for warrantee service. But should be easy to repair yourself.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #10

went out sunday afternoon first mag one jam next mag same and one on the third that finished that box of ammo. next box not one jam third box 2 jams .gun shop i bought it from wondering about my ammo .gonna sent back to rem. c in nicks inpaint on inner edge of ejector port i think brass is bouncin around not clearin fast enough ejector needs some tunin