Storing your AR with bolt open - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Storing your AR with bolt open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I tend to keep my rifles well...WELL oiled while in the safe. Aside from all of the things you mentioned, one other reason I keep mine muzzle down is so I don't have to clean the buffer, tube, etcetera of the oil that would run down into it.
I had never thought of that.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #32

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

I had never thought of that.
I toldja....I HATE cleaning them.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #33

Use grease, it doesn't run.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #34

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
The 3 Gun and arms room example was to show it is a proven and widely excepted way to safely store a firearm.

Personal preference is great, don't get me wrong. I am a proponent of our individual rights and often speak my mind when I see them being infringed upon regardless if I agree w/ them or not.

The thing is there are reasons people do things. My first thought is speed. If you (anyone) can't get the first shot off in a defensive situation most likely you will loose that battle. I guess I would consider an armed defensive situation as a war. There probably won't be any living to fight.

An AR muzzle up, bolt open, and on safe is not fast. Think about the steps involved to get that weapon into the fight. Also remember you will more than likely be asleep. I don't know about you but the older I get the longer it takes me to wake up. Now back to thinking about the steps it takes to get your AR into the fight. First you have to grab it. I'm guessing you have a short hand guard and will grab it by the barrel until you can get your non support hand on the grip. Then you'll slide your support hand back to where you like to grab the hand guard. At this point you'll let the bolt go forward either w/ the BAD Lever or by grabbing the magwell and depressing the bolt release w/ your thumb. Now you'll have to slide your support hand back onto the hand guard. Next comes switching the selector from safe to semi. And you still don't know if a round chambered or not. Sounds like a lot of work not to be certain you'll get the bang and not a click.

Muzzle down was the standard for us and I still use it. Muzzle down is the safest way to store a firearm. A round in the dirt is harmless. A round floating around above is anything but. Remember that thing gravity?

If I need my AR I can grab it w/ my firing hand by the grip in a shooting position and bring it straight to my shoulder or even engage beforehand if need be. While bringing the stock into my shoulder my hand is firmly grasping the rail directly behind the front BUIS and more than likely the safety has already been placed into the semi position. All one fluid motion. No switching hands around or pressing anything other than the trigger if need be.

Do what you want, it's your family not mine. Do me a favor though and try it out. Not once or twice but get it down smooth. Then compare it to your current method.
The 3 gun method is the MOST safe method. It doesn't mean it's the ONLY safe method. I leave my shotgun in a 4+1 configuration. It sits on a wingback chair, safety off, action half open (shell partially in the chamber). If I have to use it, I grab it by the fore end. When it gets picked up, the shell goes home and it's in a ready to use configuration before its even in both hands.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
The 3 gun method is the MOST safe method. It doesn't mean it's the ONLY safe method. I leave my shotgun in a 4+1 configuration. It sits on a wingback chair, safety off, action half open (shell partially in the chamber). If I have to use it, I grab it by the fore end. When it gets picked up, the shell goes home and it's in a ready to use configuration before its even in both hands.
Sounds great. Like the OP stated he asked about storage not stand-by.

Like you said it is the safest way. If you're wanting safe that's the best way to go, your words. Do you regularly like to almost get things right?

Now in the situation you're talking about I'd rather KNOW I had a round chambered then THINK a round will chamber when I need one.

No it's not ready to go before it's even in both hands if you're picking it up by the fore end.

Last edited by MikeJK; 07-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #36

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Right, but you were talking in another post to a guy who leaves his bolt open on a full magazine.

If you're storing a gun, the safest way to store it is without any bullets in it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Right, but you were talking in another post to a guy who leaves his bolt open on a full magazine.

If you're storing a gun, the safest way to store it is without any bullets in it.
Bullets are harmless. It's the combination of bullets, cases, and powder that can be harmful.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #38

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
... I'd rather KNOW I had a round chambered than THINK a round will chamber when I need one...
Very true! Especially when it could be the worst moment in yor life.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.