Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Storing your AR with bolt open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Pretty simple. One action needed to push bolt release and chambering a round from loaded magazine already seated into magwell and stored there. Rifle would be stored with the safety in the FIRE position. One button and ready for business.

On the other hand, you already have a round chambered and merely switch the safety off to engage target.

In reality, its 6 in one hand/ half dozen in the other. It all boils down to personal preference.

There is something intimidating about the sound of a round being chambered in just about any firearm. The sound alone may be enough to stop someone from doing something you dont want them to do in some situations.

But the sound of a safety clicking off is not as loud and therefore less likely to make your target run away.

Do you want to be stealthy like a ninja or make a warning noise like a rattlesnake? Lol. Seriously though, its just a personal preference.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Mike,

What do you not like about an open bolt?

I'm genuinely interested in any insight you may have as to why this is a bad option.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #13

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00
Pretty simple. One action needed to push bolt release and chambering a round from loaded magazine already seated into magwell and stored there. Rifle would be stored with the safety in the FIRE position. One button and ready for business.

On the other hand, you already have a round chambered and merely switch the safety off to engage target.

In reality, its 6 in one hand/ half dozen in the other. It all boils down to personal preference.

There is something intimidating about the sound of a round being chambered in just about any firearm. The sound alone may be enough to stop someone from doing something you dont want them to do in some situations.

But the sound of a safety clicking off is not as loud and therefore less likely to make your target run away.

Do you want to be stealthy like a ninja or make a warning noise like a rattlesnake? Lol. Seriously though, its just a personal preference.
Couldn't of said it better. I can't hear my safely click and I'm shouldering the gun, I hear the bolt close and so does everyone else in my house

Old 07-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post

Have you ever set an AR down on its side? How about stock first or even muzzle down? Hell, any way you can think of. What happens? The bolt slams forward. On an AR with a loaded mag and the selector on fire what does that mean? How often have you accidentally switch a selector from safe to semi? I hoping never. It's my belief that if you're proficient enough w/ the AR to select it for your primary defensive weapon going from safe to semi should be second nature while bringing that little red dot onto target.

The sound of a bolt slamming close has never instilled fear into most men I know. In fact it's a welcome sound cause now we know where you are. Finding them is the hardest part. Plus I don't own firearms to scare people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
Mike,

What do you not like about an open bolt?

I'm genuinely interested in any insight you may have as to why this is a bad option.

EDUB
Slow and not as safe. Have you ever shot 3 Gun? They always have you lock the bolt back so they can check the chamber then have you ride it forward, point the weapon down range and send the hammer home. It's also they way every single AR was stored in our arms room.

As a weapon system sitting waiting to be used as a defensive weapon read my response to ryguy00.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

Have you ever set an AR down on its side? How about stock first or even muzzle down? Hell, any way you can think of. What happens? The bolt slams forward. On an AR with a loaded mag and the selector on fire what does that mean? How often have you accidentally switch a selector from safe to semi? I hoping never. It's my belief that if you're proficient enough w/ the AR to select it for your primary defensive weapon going from safe to semi should be second nature while bringing that little red dot onto target.

The sound of a bolt slamming close has never instilled fear into most men I know. In fact it's a welcome sound cause now we know where you are. Finding them is the hardest part. Plus I don't own firearms to scare people.

Slow and not as safe. Have you ever shot 3 Gun? They always have you lock the bolt back so they can check the chamber then have you ride it forward, point the weapon down range and send the hammer home. It's also they way every single AR was stored in our arms room.

As a weapon system sitting waiting to be used as a defensive weapon read my response to ryguy00.
I was never taught to set my weapons muzzle down, only face the muzzle down when carrying them. I set my AR down every day on the stock and my bolt doesn't close unless I slam it down hard. Plus the selector switch is on safe and not fire, and if it moves due to me flicking it on accident, I move it back to safe. And if you aren't scared when you're in an unknown area, in the dark, and hear a round being chambered, not knowing where it came from, you have bigger balls than a lot of people. I'd be scared. Scaring people isn't the reason of firearms but if it helps avoid someone being shot, then yes, I am for it. I will shoot someone, or I'd like to think I could if I needed to but I hope it'd never come to that and I'd like to avoid it at all cost. And this isn't 3 gun, it's home defense...

But this is what I do and what I believe and what I feel comfortable with. If you do something different, then go for it. But this is what I feel.

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 07-02-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I was never taught to set my weapons muzzle down, only face the muzzle down when carrying them. I set my AR down every day on the stock and my bolt doesn't close unless I slam it down hard. Plus the selector switch is on safe and not fire, and if it moves due to me flicking it on accident, I move it back to safe. And if you aren't scared when you're in an unknown area, in the dark, and hear a round being chambered, not knowing where it came from, you have bigger balls than a lot of people. I'd be scared. Scaring people isn't the reason of firearms but if it helps avoid someone being shot, then yes, I am for it. I will shoot someone, or I'd like to think I could if I needed to but I hope it'd never come to that and I'd like to avoid it at all cost. And this isn't 3 gun, it's home defense...

But this is what I do and what I believe and what I feel comfortable with. If you do something different, then go for it. But this is what I feel.
The 3 Gun and arms room example was to show it is a proven and widely excepted way to safely store a firearm.

Personal preference is great, don't get me wrong. I am a proponent of our individual rights and often speak my mind when I see them being infringed upon regardless if I agree w/ them or not.

The thing is there are reasons people do things. My first thought is speed. If you (anyone) can't get the first shot off in a defensive situation most likely you will loose that battle. I guess I would consider an armed defensive situation as a war. There probably won't be any living to fight.

An AR muzzle up, bolt open, and on safe is not fast. Think about the steps involved to get that weapon into the fight. Also remember you will more than likely be asleep. I don't know about you but the older I get the longer it takes me to wake up. Now back to thinking about the steps it takes to get your AR into the fight. First you have to grab it. I'm guessing you have a short hand guard and will grab it by the barrel until you can get your non support hand on the grip. Then you'll slide your support hand back to where you like to grab the hand guard. At this point you'll let the bolt go forward either w/ the BAD Lever or by grabbing the magwell and depressing the bolt release w/ your thumb. Now you'll have to slide your support hand back onto the hand guard. Next comes switching the selector from safe to semi. And you still don't know if a round chambered or not. Sounds like a lot of work not to be certain you'll get the bang and not a click.

Muzzle down was the standard for us and I still use it. Muzzle down is the safest way to store a firearm. A round in the dirt is harmless. A round floating around above is anything but. Remember that thing gravity?

If I need my AR I can grab it w/ my firing hand by the grip in a shooting position and bring it straight to my shoulder or even engage beforehand if need be. While bringing the stock into my shoulder my hand is firmly grasping the rail directly behind the front BUIS and more than likely the safety has already been placed into the semi position. All one fluid motion. No switching hands around or pressing anything other than the trigger if need be.

Do what you want, it's your family not mine. Do me a favor though and try it out. Not once or twice but get it down smooth. Then compare it to your current method.

Last edited by MikeJK; 07-02-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
The 3 Gun and arms room example was to show it is a proven and widely excepted way to safely store a firearm.

Personal preference is great, don't get me wrong. I am a proponent of our individual rights and often speak my mind when I see them being infringed upon regardless if I agree w/ them or not.

The thing is there are reasons people do things. My first thought is speed. If you (anyone) can't get the first shot off in a defensive situation most likely you will loose that battle. I guess I would consider an armed defensive situation as a war. There probably won't be any living to fight.

An AR muzzle up, bolt open, and on safe is not fast. Think about the steps involved to get that weapon into the fight. Also remember you will more than likely be asleep. I don't know about you but the older I get the longer it takes me to wake up. Now back to thinking about the steps it takes to get your AR into the fight. First you have to grab it. I'm guessing you have a short hand guard and will grab it by the barrel until you can get your non support hand on the grip. Then you'll slide your support hand back to where you like to grab the hand guard. At this point you'll let the bolt go forward either w/ the BAD Lever or by grabbing the magwell and depressing the bolt release w/ your thumb. Now you'll have to slide your support hand back onto the hand guard. Next comes switching the selector from safe to semi. And you still don't know if a round chambered or not. Sounds like a lot of work not to be certain you'll get the bang and not a click.

Muzzle down was the standard for us and I still use it. Muzzle down is the safest way to store a firearm. A round in the dirt is harmless. A round floating around above is anything but. Remember that thing gravity?

If I need my AR I can grab it w/ my firing hand by the grip in a shooting position and bring it straight to my shoulder or even engage beforehand if need be. While bringing the stock into my shoulder my hand is firmly grasping the rail directly behind the front BUIS and more than likely the safety has already been placed into the semi position. All one fluid motion. No switching hands around or pressing anything other than the trigger if need be.

Do what you want, it's your family not mine. Do me a favor though and try it out. Not once or twice but get it down smooth. Then compare it to your current method.
I will try it out when I get home from work, as I am more than willing to try something out to see if it is better than my way. And as for me being muzzle up and not down, the reason I said that is so dirt wouldn't get into the barrel, now grant it, I am in a carpeted room and not outside in elements where it is more than likely to happen, it is just habit. Another reason I am muzzle up is that the stock slips off my wall when muzzle down. I learned this when a friend set it up that way on accident when I showed it to him after I first got it. But no means disrespect to you or your ways, I have learned a lot from reading some of your posts about AR's and will for sure try your method just to learn in case a situation ever does arise

Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
If you are storing or transporting an AR I feel bolt forward, hammer down, on fire is the best way. As far as leaving a magazine loaded or in the magwell, it will not effect the spring.

I don't understand leaving the bolt open on your primary defensive firearm. Can someone please explain how that makes sense?
I did mention that I was only asking this because I was using a lock on the gun due to not having a safe for my rifles. This is not my primary self defense weapon. I have a handgun for that I use for that purpose.

But I do agree that if my AR WAS my primary self defense weapon, round chambered with bolt closed, would be my preferred method of storage.

Now back to your conversation....

Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
I did mention that I was only asking this because I was using a lock on the gun due to not having a safe for my rifles. This is not my primary self defense weapon. I have a handgun for that I use for that purpose.

But I do agree that if my AR WAS my primary self defense weapon, round chambered with bolt closed, would be my preferred method of storage.

Now back to your conversation....
Do you need any more locks? I have a box full of them in the closet. Go down to Manards or Atwoods and get a locking cabinent for $200. That's no more than a days worth of ammunition. Hell you should be spending more than that a day for classes. You don't need a 500 sq ft digital, climate controlled safe.

Do you have kids?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Do you need any more locks? I have a box full of them in the closet. Go down to Manards or Atwoods and get a locking cabinent for $200. That's no more than a days worth of ammunition. Hell you should be spending more than that a day for classes. You don't need a 500 sq ft digital, climate controlled safe.

Do you have kids?
Yeah, 2 girls ages 5 and 8. My monthly budget for ammo is less than $200, lol. Never heard of a "Manards" or "Atwoods". That's a good idea though...I will check Sportmans Warehouse. As far as classes go I have yet to take anything. But that's a whole different thread!!. The industry I work in took a big hit when the housing market collapsed (as I am sure many can relate to), so until that turns around, me and my family live on a very tight budget. My AR was something I had wanted to build for a VERY long time. I ended up saving for a year including selling off a few things from past hobbies to pay for the build. Unfortunately I just don't have the disposable income to invest $200-300 a month on this hobby. Thanks again for the advice guys!!