Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Storing your AR with bolt open (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/storing-your-ar-bolt-open-67370/)

jg3 06-30-2012 04:31 PM

Storing your AR with bolt open

As the title says, is it OK to store my AR with the bolt locked in the open position? The reason I ask is that I don't have a safe for my rifles but do have young children. I have a bore lock (I think that's what it's called) that goes through the ejection port and down through the magwel. Will leaving the bolt in the open position wear down the spring?

ShagNasty1001 06-30-2012 04:35 PM

I leave mine open so I know there's one not in the chamber since its my primary HD gun and haven't had a problem with it at all

Tackleberry1 06-30-2012 04:40 PM

Spring fatigue used to be a concern with magazines as well. Would leaving pistol or rifle mags charged for long periods of time cause spring fatigue?

This has been debunked, today's general concensus is that springs wear out from usage, not storage, be they compressed or not so the answer to your question would be no. Storing your AR in a bolt open position should not effect the buffer springs life.

However, I would be concerned with the bolt being released and slamming closed on a foreign object, the cable lock. Personally, I'd use the lock but gently ride the bolt forward to rest on the cable and avoid it slamming forward into the cable.

Tack

mountainman13 06-30-2012 04:42 PM

Leaving it locked back should be fine. Working springs is what wears them out. Letting the bolt come forward and rest on the (assuming) rubber coated lock wire isn't gonna hurt anything either If your more comfortable that way.

jg3 06-30-2012 04:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys...I will leave it locked open

AgentTikki 06-30-2012 04:57 PM

I just wonder if it will fatigue the bolt catch, by having pressure applied to it for extended periods of time. I've seen broken catches and can't help but wonder.....

jg3 06-30-2012 05:07 PM

Hmmm...definitely something to think about...maybe I will just gently let it forward and just rest against the rubber coated cable

MikeJK 07-02-2012 02:39 AM

If you are storing or transporting an AR I feel bolt forward, hammer down, on fire is the best way. As far as leaving a magazine loaded or in the magwell, it will not effect the spring.

I don't understand leaving the bolt open on your primary defensive firearm. Can someone please explain how that makes sense?

ShagNasty1001 07-02-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK
If you are storing or transporting an AR I feel bolt forward, hammer down, on fire is the best way. As far as leaving a magazine loaded or in the magwell, it will not effect the spring.

I don't understand leaving the bolt open on your primary defensive firearm. Can someone please explain how that makes sense?

Because I feel comfortable with it like that, that's why I do it

MikeJK 07-02-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

Because I feel comfortable with it like that, that's why I do it

What makes you feel more comfortable doing it that way?