Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Stock up ammo 5.56 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stock-up-ammo-5-56-a-63022/)

tenntyrant 04-22-2012 12:36 AM

Stock up ammo 5.56
 
WHat would be a good bullet weight to have stocked up in case you ever need it for rifles with a 1:7 and a 1:9 twist 5.56 223 one round that will shoot good in both. I'm thinking 69 grain what's your thoughts?

BenLuby 04-22-2012 12:39 AM

You looking for a midrange grain that works well in both, or separate? I think I'd opt for one that works well in both calibers, because you're not talking a major variance in twist rate. The 1:7 is obviously faster, but somewhere in the 60 category would work well.

Jpyle 04-22-2012 12:46 AM

55gr or 62gr will work equally well and should be abundant in bulk at reasonable prices...at least for now.

Quentin 04-22-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 778311)
55gr or 62gr will work equally well and should be abundant in bulk at reasonable prices...at least for now.

I agree, 55-62gr should be optimal for most 1:7 and 1:9 ARs. And reasonably priced.

Duck4Glocks 04-22-2012 05:07 AM

What about a 1:8 twist?

Jpyle 04-22-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck4Glocks (Post 778526)
What about a 1:8 twist?

No difference. For all practical purposes, 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 will all perform more or less the same with 55-62gr ammo. Unless you are shooting extreme distance with longer, i.e. heavier loads or heavy tracer rounds, there is nothing gained between a 1:7 and a 1:9. Lighter, varmint rounds in the 40gr or so range may need a 1:9 or 1:12 to prevent overspin.

Shade 04-22-2012 02:54 PM

Here is something that may help your decision out.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

nickel1911 04-22-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade
Here is something that may help your decision out.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

What a great link! Thanks for posting

purehavoc 04-22-2012 04:03 PM

Your going to have to shoot both 55 and 62 gr and see how they shoot out of your guns , both of mine will shoot 55 but one of them is not as accurate with it and both barrels are 1:7 both by the same manufacturer , they both shoot 62 about the same and much better than the 55 gr . just buy a couple boxes of each and try them out yourself .

BenLuby 04-22-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 778756)
Your going to have to shoot both 55 and 62 gr and see how they shoot out of your guns , both of mine will shoot 55 but one of them is not as accurate with it and both barrels are 1:7 both by the same manufacturer , they both shoot 62 about the same and much better than the 55 gr . just buy a couple boxes of each and try them out yourself .

If both your barrels are chrome lined, that could have something to do with it, as chrome doesn't make a perfect bond, and thus, each barrel will be different. Thus, shooting a lighter 55 grain will give different results than shooting the heavier 62 grain bullet. Another thing would be what ranges do the differences become quite apparent?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.