Which Stock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Stock

I am going to start seriously looking into parts for my first Ar build, and I need to choose between stocks. I want some FIRST HAND info and opinions on; the Magpul CTR, LMT Sopmod, Vltor Imod Club Foot, or the RRA Operator CAR. I don't really care about storage... but its a plus. Thanks in advance.

Psalms 18:30-35
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The only one I haven't tried is the Vltor Imod Club Foot.

I have the Magpul on two of my sticks. It locks up tight, it adjusts with solid clicks and it's hell built for stout. That is my pick.

JD

Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I have the Magpul on two of my sticks. It locks up tight, it adjusts with solid clicks and it's hell built for stout. That is my pick.

JD
I use the CTR for the same reasons JD cited. Two of my rifles still have A1 stocks on them because I hated the "rattle" of all the retractables. They will be getting CTR's soon, as well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

In defense of M4 stocks, I have two BCM receiver extensions with their Gen 2 stock and like them a lot. They did have a little "rattle" but a 4" strip or two of good electrical tape inside the stock solves that in a couple minutes. I was concerned that excess oil might gum up the tape but that hasn't happened yet.

No doubt there are excellent alternatives being discussed here but a good milspec stock isn't bad.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
In defense of M4 stocks, I have two BCM receiver extensions with their Gen 2 stock and like them a lot. They did have a little "rattle" but a 4" strip or two of good electrical tape inside the stock solves that in a couple minutes. I was concerned that excess oil might gum up the tape but that hasn't happened yet.

No doubt there are excellent alternatives being discussed here but a good milspec stock isn't bad.
This is a fix that I have used in the past. The issue for me is that when I have not shaved for a couple of days, the loose fit of the Mil Spec stocks allows whiskers to be painfully yanked out. CTR does not do that.

I had better luck with Gaffers tape than electrical tape.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Out of your list the CTR is a wise choice but the UBR would be my first choice.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

JD
Thanks for the help man. What is your honest opinion of the rra and lmt stocks?

It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Does it totally eliminate the rattle or just minimize it?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have always wondered what a PRS stock would look like on a carbine. That is the only stock that I have an opinion on, and I love mine.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
Thanks for the help man. What is your honest opinion of the rra and lmt stocks?
Rock River Arms makes good products for the most part. I am not overly impressed with the quality of the lock up or the side to side play on their stock. The cheek weld is a nice touch, nothing that you can't learn on your own and without a fancy "additional" dollar cost.

LMT is basically the same damn stock as the RRA and it's over $250.00. Yeah, it's a better quality of plastic and the lock up is better, more solid. But damn, that is a lot of money.

The Magpul has a better overall feel to me, and the additional "lock" on the setting of the stock position I like. Easy on, easy off and it stays where you put it.

For the money I am spending, I still like the CTR.

But that is me. Buy what YOU like, not what any of us like. It's your rifle.

JD