Is it still possible to buy an ar 15 for under 900$? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is it still possible to buy an ar 15 for under 900$?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
I've built two in the last month. 850.00 for one and 800.00 for the other. First one is a del-ton lower with GSE carbine 16" rifle kit, collapsible stock, A3, chrome lined. Second is Spikes lower, with RGUNS carbine 16" rifle kit, same set up.
How do you like the RGuns upper? I've heard several say that they are junk, I just used one on a DPMS lower and I'm very satisfied. Got less than 700 in it.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #12

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Any LGS that wants to stay in business right now won't be letting employees get 1st dibbs on anything. If word got out, that'd be it. They owe a lot to their regular & loyal customers, and that's who should get 1st dibbs, if anybody.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Liked 294 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Any LGS that wants to stay in business right now won't be letting employees get 1st dibbs on anything. If word got out, that'd be it. They owe a lot to their regular & loyal customers, and that's who should get 1st dibbs, if anybody.
Amen to that. I take care of my customers first, they are the reason i have a buisness at all.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

bluez Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #14

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

If you can get your hands on a stripped lower, there are complete kits out there for about 600 bucks.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Give it six or eight months, the supply will catch up and all the guys that paid a 200% markup will lose their butts.

The market will be flooded with $700 ARs and $400 AKs.
I have serious doubts about that. I do hope to be proven wrong.

I think we're going to see a permanent price increase for rifles, parts, mags, etc. Yes, even if there are no political/legal changes. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I think for one second that the currently insane prices are here to stay. But we might well see at permanent 20-50% price increase on various items. So a DPMS that was previously $600-800, and is now $1400-2000...might settle a lot closer to $1000 than $700 if things calm down.

Something to consider: Take mags for example. Many people are paying $40-90 each for the PMags you could have bought 5 weeks ago for $10-18. Some folks are still getting them in limited quantities for under $20, if they've got a good connection or are on the right waiting list. So imagine you're Magpul...you're backordered into oblivion and you've got thousands of distrubutors and hundreds of thousands of individuals fighting to have them take your money first. You can run round the clock, pay employees overtime...and you're not even close to filling demand. Are you going to raise the prices? You are in this to make money, correct? Say you own a company/manufacturing plant that supplies Magpul with their raw materials. Think maybe those folks are aware of the current situation? Perhaps Magpul is one of their primary customers? Think they may raise their costs a bit as well? Supply and demand.

This is why I expect a permanent price increase. But it won't be congruent with the current insanity. Right now there are a ton of folks who know very little about ARs or the firearms market in general driving up prices. This is why the most rediculously overpriced gear wears the "Bushmaster" label. This is both silly and sad.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #16

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Take mags for example. Many people are paying $40-90 each for the PMags you could have bought 5 weeks ago for $10-18. Some folks are still getting them in limited quantities for under $20, if they've got a good connection or are on the right waiting list. So imagine you're Magpul...you're backordered into oblivion and you've got thousands of distrubutors and hundreds of thousands of individuals fighting to have them take your money first. You can run round the clock, pay employees overtime...and you're not even close to filling demand. Are you going to raise the prices? You are in this to make money, correct? Say you own a company/manufacturing plant that supplies Magpul with their raw materials. Think maybe those folks are aware of the current situation? Perhaps Magpul is one of their primary customers? Think they may raise their costs a bit as well? Supply and demand.
For right now, that is true. But if nothing important materializes, people who drove up the price may change their minds, and flood the secondary market. In which case, we're back to normal pricing, maybe lower.

Technically, I believe that is one of the basics of business; if you make something for which there is more demand than you can handle, you are not charging enough. I don't honestly know if that holds true in a situation like this, which is not totally normal......

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The price increase in this case is coming directly from manufacturers and distributors. In fact my boss called S&W today to report a distributor for selling their sporters for $1300 wholesale! If dealers have to pay more than double to get guns what can they do but pass the cost on?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

For right now, that is true. But if nothing important materializes, people who drove up the price may change their minds, and flood the secondary market. In which case, we're back to normal pricing, maybe lower.

Technically, I believe that is one of the basics of business; if you make something for which there is more demand than you can handle, you are not charging enough. I don't honestly know if that holds true in a situation like this, which is not totally normal......
I highly doubt (like 1 in a googleplex to quote Doc from back to the future) that you'll see a secondary market flood no matter what, if any, changed are made to the law. The reason prices are so high is because the secondary market is the only place you can be sure to find what you want. Rounds, mags, parts and complete guns all the same. I see no relief to the supply chain in the near future, and have little hope of return to normalcy to pre-November levels.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #19

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Yes.bought one today for $799.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stopped in an "LGS" in Streetsboro, OH today; not a single new/used AR for under $2K. Mini-14 over $1K, same with the few AKs they had.

In a victim nation, a classroom full of dead children is morally superior to a teacher holding a smoking gun knowing she just protected her students.