Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Still confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Diggsbakes; No, I'm not against reading a book. Maybe you could suggest one? And, while there may not be right or wrong answers, there appear to be right or wrong questions. Based on what I've gathered here, I couldn't answer some of mine, and some people gave me **** for asking. (The color matching thing. It's my preference. Period)

Tommy34; I checked the links you posted. I noticed a couple things. I know, everyone is going to say "You're hung up on aesthetics!" Yes. I am. But.....the lower priced lowers, they all seem to be marked "MULTI CAL", and have the pictograms for safe & fire. Just commenting.

Also, I read a lot of the stickies up top. Maybe I missed one. I don't see much info on how & what parts to choose. Anyone care to point to a thread, site, or book? Thanks

Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #42

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Not sure why all the hate towards a good looking gun in here.

If the man wants the upper and lower to be the same color there is nothing wrong with that. I would have a HUGE problem with an AR that the upper was a different color from the lower (IE upper black is not as dark as lower black). I would still have a problem if I had it painted or duracoated. Why, because I would know that underneith it all it was still mismatched.

Just because it is a SUR doesn't mean it has to look like a damn color blind white trash ridge runner put it together out of spare Ford parts in the damn yard.

Clr To solve the missed match upper and lower you can buy matched sets from many places.

Rock River Arms: NM Upper / Lower Receiver Set

Also even buying from the same company like buying a RRA upper and a RRA lower are going to be very close to the same color.

Rock River Arms: Upper Receivers / Parts

I sir understand your need to a matched set for an upper and lower. I see mismatched sets all the time and the first thing that comes to mind is some Monster energy drink infused shaky guy banging one out a parts gun in a dimly lit basement while eating Fritos.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #43

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy34 View Post
write now im building a M.O.E. stagg piece by piece payday to payday and its going well this is my 14th build from scratch my gf says i need to get rid of some but they are hard to part with. lol
If she's already telling you what to do wait until you get married.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Not sure why all the hate towards a good looking gun in here.

If the man wants the upper and lower to be the same color there is nothing wrong with that. I would have a HUGE problem with an AR that the upper was a different color from the lower (IE upper black is not as dark as lower black). I would still have a problem if I had it painted or duracoated. Why, because I would know that underneith it all it was still mismatched.

Just because it is a SUR doesn't mean it has to look like a damn color blind white trash ridge runner put it together out of spare Ford parts in the damn yard.

Clr To solve the missed match upper and lower you can buy matched sets from many places.

Rock River Arms: NM Upper / Lower Receiver Set

Also even buying from the same company like buying a RRA upper and a RRA lower are going to be very close to the same color.

Rock River Arms: Upper Receivers / Parts

I sir understand your need to a matched set for an upper and lower. I see mismatched sets all the time and the first thing that comes to mind is some Monster energy drink infused shaky guy banging one out a parts gun in a dimly lit basement while eating Fritos.
No hate toward a good looking firearm. I think the problem surfaced when he became defensive when someone mentioned looks are of least importance.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #45

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Diggsbakes; No, I'm not against reading a book. Maybe you could suggest one? And, while there may not be right or wrong answers, there appear to be right or wrong questions. Based on what I've gathered here, I couldn't answer some of mine, and some people gave me **** for asking. (The color matching thing. It's my preference. Period)

Tommy34; I checked the links you posted. I noticed a couple things. I know, everyone is going to say "You're hung up on aesthetics!" Yes. I am. But.....the lower priced lowers, they all seem to be marked "MULTI CAL", and have the pictograms for safe & fire. Just commenting.

Also, I read a lot of the stickies up top. Maybe I missed one. I don't see much info on how & what parts to choose. Anyone care to point to a thread, site, or book? Thanks
clr8ter, you've been given most of the answers you asked for - at least as far as we can go since you still haven't given a clear description of the rifle you want. Yet you get annoyed at us for not reading your mind. This research thing is just that - YOUR research. If you're not going to make the effort like so many young people today, well maybe it's better to just go to the LGS and buy anything as long as it matches. You expect a factory rifle to match, when you build from parts you take on that responsibility.

To answer one more question, if you don't like "Multi-cal" and icons, then look at the lower receivers sticky and choose a one you like, buy it, build it up, and look at every upper for a good match.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #46

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Here you go!

"The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide, Volume 2" Book by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee - MidwayUSA

Amazon.com: Gunsmithing - The AR-15 (9781440208997): Patrick Sweeney: Books

I'm all about color matching, myself. I recently ordered a set of billet receivers and they came in mis-matched. For $500 + S&H I wanted better, so I spent a lot of time working on it and got lucky with one of our members knowing a supervisor with the company. I got a matching set!

Enjoy your reading!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

+ 10 on this book .. very informative on many aspects of the platform from building, maint, what ammo is best for which barrel lenghts and twist rates, triggers ect ect.. very good book to have and read a few times

Amazon.com: Gunsmithing - The AR-15 (9781440208997): Patrick Sweeney: Books

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #48

Liked 638 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 386

cpttango, diggsbakes, THANKS! I'm still interested in the gun photo you posted in the other thread Tango. Tell me more about it.

To quote myself;

Quote:
Quentin: 5.56 Cal, mostly for plinking now, also as a SHTF gun, lighter weight overall, 16-20" Barrel, average accuracy @ 200 Yds, I sort of like the original M-16 look, but definitely flat top w/picatinny rail, scope in the future, but iron sights for right now.
Not sure how this is vague, but if there are specific questions you'd like to know the answer to, feel free to ask. I might be missing something.

So, gunsmithing the AR-15 it is. Thanks.....I will order it up.

Again to quote myself;
Quote:
As far as the finish & color from one manufacturer, there should be no excuse for parts made at about the same time not to very closely match.

As far as painting it, why would I pay for something to have a finish put on it, and then cover it up with spray paint? And, if you were to go buy a car, and the paint one the fenders & hood didn't match, would you buy the car? I doubt it. If it's something that HAS to be to build a gun, so be it. I still think it would look retarded.
I wasn't going on the defensive although I can see how one might read it that way. I was just stating my feelings, you can also have your opinion. I have been told by more than one person I am the most opinionated **** they know. It's true. No offense intended to anyone.....

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-28-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
If she's already telling you what to do wait until you get married.
Ya ----------)not happening homie

It only hurts till the pain goes away...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #50

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
... DD makes a good barrels and uppers, BCM does as well ... Noveske barrels have a great rep. but are toward the top of the price chain. As far as twist and profile, Ive really enjoyed the freedom of a 1:7 lightweight barrel. And a mid length gas system has worked well for me. There also seems to be a preference for chrome lining. Some say its pointless, more say its a must have. Mine are chrome lined, but who knows whats best. 16" is probably the most convenient length. I like 14.5 w/ a perm muzzle devise but it can be a pain when wanting to change things around.
Dropping this quote from another thread... to me this is excellent advice. Take a few minutes to look at MJ's build thread and mine if you want and of course other build threads here. Definitely look at what JD has to say... There's lots of good info the the build threads, especially when people explain their reasons for the components they chose. Feel free to borrow anything that works for you.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.