Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Still confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Well, this got out of hand...everyone seems focused on the matching colors thing, very few posted on the which parts part. No ones seems to want to answer that.......(Yes, I know a few of you did...and thank you)
We're obambulating here. To get back on track maybe you should redefine your original question!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #32

Liked 638 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 386

2. Where might be a good place online to go to get this stuff? I have looked at Brownell's Gun Builder several times. I remain unsure about my choices, and what I should be paying. (I kind of like the look of the original M-16, but with the flat-top w/picatinny rail)

Quentin: 5.56 Cal, mostly for plinking now, also as a SHTF gun, lighter weight overall, 16-20" Barrel, average accuracy @ 200 Yds, I sort of like the original M-16 look, but definately flat top w/picatinny rail, scope in the future, but iron sights for right now.

I mentioned to Dillinger my LGS had a panther stripped lower for $150, he indicated he thought that was high. I noticed all the ones at Brownell's were about that, and some were way more.

There is a gun show coming in 3 weeks, I will be looking there, but still need some solid info on what to look for, and about for how much......

See cpttango's gun in Rock River Arms VS Colt VS Bushmaster. THIS is about what I want to build. (I don't know the specs, like caliber, but that's about how it should look, sweet gun)

RRA seems to pop up frequently, I like the sound of them. Any opinions?

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Take a look at (the 3 places Ive found to have the best prices):

AIM

PalmettoStateArmory

DSG Arms

Palmetto and Aim both have great deals on lowers

Palmetto and DSG both have great deals on Lower Parts Kits.

Palmetto and DSG both have great deals on furniture sets.

Aim has decent prices on ammo and uppers.

Palmetto has a great deal on Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Groups.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #34

Quote:
... I mentioned to Dillinger my LGS had a panther stripped lower for $150, he indicated he thought that was high. I noticed all the ones at Brownell's were about that, and some were way more...
JD is right, you don't want to pay that much for a stripped lower unless it's something special that you just HAVE to have. You can buy a stripped lower online for $80 pretty easy then have it transferred to your FFL. Should come in under $125 total - tax and transfer fee.

MJ gave you some good links to check out. I wouldn't buy parts at the gun show unless you know you're getting a bargain.

I'll quote myself for questions you need to answer for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
...As far as which parts to get I think you need to give this more thought. What are you going to use the rifle for? How accurate, which caliber, which barrel profile/weight, stock/grip/handguards/rails, etc.?

To me the ideal AR is a 16" lightweight profile midlength 1:7" barrel, flat top receiver, M4/MOE/CTR style stock and MOE handguards. You might want to look at something like that and of course move in the direction you ultimately want to go. Take a look at some of the build threads for more info - and good luck!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-26-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Gun shows are BS for the most part. I just got back from one in fact. My step-dad and I just shake our heads. I have however found some nice deals from time to time. AR stuff is always overpriced it seems. AKs are ridiculous at shows. Some of these guys are marking them up a $100 or more. You have to be carefull. Google is your friend. Do some research before going to these shows.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #36

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
I mentioned to Dillinger my LGS had a panther stripped lower for $150, he indicated he thought that was high. I noticed all the ones at Brownell's were about that, and some were way more.
Just for reference I picked up a Yankee Hill Machine lower on gunbroker for $90. Internet retail goes about $150-$180. See if you can pick up a copy of Shotgun News at Walmart or any local bookstore. Its jammed full of ads for AR parts...will help to get a better idea of what you should be paying at various quality levels.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #37

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Boys, I believe that this example proves that most folks could stand a good reading before taking on the task of assembling their own AR. No offense to the OP!

If you don't know, then you don't know, but are you totally against getting a book that could answer every question that you've asked accurately and quickly? Without the frustration of the "mis-communication" in which you stated you experienced?

For the 3+ days that this thread has existed you could have read through 2 decent sized books and then turned to all the good folks here for help on where to go for parts, etc. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that you will have additional questions and need further guidance once you get a ways into (or start) your build.

That's why were here. We love to mess with guns. Shoot them, build them, maintain them, buy them, fondle them, show them off, give them away, and so on. We also love to share how to do stuff when someone hasn't.

However, there is a point that when a guy doesn't know enough to ask the right questions and in turn (as we saw a couple posts ago) get the right answers. I think we are seeing the results of that stage here.

To the OP: Keep asking and we'll keep answering, but you gotta realize there's many questions with no "right and wrong" answers. There are million of ways to skin a cat. The AR-15 is the most versatile rifle in existence with countless configurations.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #38

Diggs is exactly right and I'm like him though I know not all of us are that way. I read, I research, I google. I read the stickies, I read the build threads, I thumb through AR books and magazines. I get it clear in my head and try to analyze the quality of the information and where the internet writer is coming from. The more time you spend researching the longer you will be happy with your purchase.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Take a look at (the 3 places Ive found to have the best prices):

AIM

PalmettoStateArmory

DSG Arms

Palmetto and Aim both have great deals on lowers

Palmetto and DSG both have great deals on Lower Parts Kits.

Palmetto and DSG both have great deals on furniture sets.

Aim has decent prices on ammo and uppers.

Palmetto has a great deal on Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Groups.
those places are very good deals and sometimes the whole in the wall gun shops have great deals on lowers too just go for mill spec as long as you stay with that you'll never go wrong i have never had a mill spec lower fail but i have had some issues with commercial ones

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #40

write now im building a M.O.E. stagg piece by piece payday to payday and its going well this is my 14th build from scratch my gf says i need to get rid of some but they are hard to part with. lol