Still confused - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Still confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 984 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quentin - I know YOU didn't say paint it. Didn't mean to imply that. To the guys that DID say paint it - You go paint yours, that's fine for you, I'll color match mine, that's fine for me. I might not be into mine for much more, or any more $, and it'll look better. Who says that something that might save your life has to look crappy? (MY opinion.)

Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #12

A lot of quality manufacturers' finishes match pretty closely to one another. I have a Bushmaster Upper on an RRA lower. When I first got the upper it seemed MUCH darker than the lower receiver. I put a couple coats of oil (let it soak in, and oiled again) on the lower, and it became obvious that the upper had been oiled before shipping, while the lower receiver was pretty much bone dry. Now they match almost perfectly. YMMV.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

To the OP:

Focus on function first. It doesn't matter what your rfile looks like if you can't get it out to play.

Get something that fits what you want to do with the gun and go for it.

Fit and Color should match with in makers, but I also have several receivers from different manufacturers that match perfectly as well. The last thing you need to be worrying about on your first AR is a freaking paint job.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #14

If aesthetics/cosmetics are a concern you can buy the dura coat shake and spray for 29$ in a single color and have everything match. I plan on doing that with my build. Watch the video on the dura coat website and this will no longer be an issue allowing you to value shop your various components. I'm with the group on function first

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #15

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

If it really matters to you then I'd suggest first buying the upper you like the best (highly recommend BCM and Daniel Defense) and taking it to the LGSs and choose a stripped lower that matches.

If that doesn't suit you then you could go in all your LGS and handle every AR in town. Take pictures to remember the finishes, write notes then have a fighting chance of getting different receivers to match. (And while you're handling all those guns you'll get ideas for your build.) Also look at the sticky with various lowers for some ideas.

My first build, the S&W lower was deep black, satiny and smoothly polished while the ArmaLite upper was rougher, definitely more like a military gun. It was obvious they were mixed parts but the rifle was 100%. I'll admit it bugged me a little but once you smeared on oil most people who picked up the rifle wouldn't pay much attention to it.

When I started my second build I found an ArmaLite stripped lower for a good price and figured why not since I loved the rollmark - and it does match the ArmaLite upper very well. And I got lucky with the Daniel Defense upper, it's a perfect match to the 2.5 year old S&W lower.

Anyway, I am glad to have the receivers match but in the scheme of things it's pretty low on the scale when your goal is a well designed, reliable AR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Quentin - I know YOU didn't say paint it. Didn't mean to imply that. To the guys that DID say paint it - You go paint yours, that's fine for you, I'll color match mine, that's fine for me. I might not be into mine for much more, or any more $, and it'll look better. Who says that something that might save your life has to look crappy? (MY opinion.)
Nobody said it had to look "crappy." I like my ARs to look nice and I believe they accomplish that task very well.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #17

To quote and old dead architect....."Form Follows Function"

Meaning that the outward appearance of what ever you are building should follow it's intended use. Build it and then worry about how it looks, bet ya it winds up looking pretty good.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post

Meaning that the outward appearance of what ever you are building should follow it's intended use. Build it and then worry about how it looks, bet ya it winds up looking pretty good.
Sullivan Wainwright said, "form ever follows function."

Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #19

Quote:

Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Frank Lloyd Wright
Correction to my post - The guys name was Louis Sullivan, Wainwright was one of his buildings.

Wright was an apprentice of Sullivans. I imagine he coined his phrase from Sullivans, "form ever follows function." The exterior form of the building shows its interior function.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.