Still confused
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Still confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 628

Default Still confused

I'm interested in building an AR-15 starting w/the lower reciever, and adding parts over time. I have a couple of specific questions I have had a hard time finding the answers to.

1. I'd like all the visible parts to match in finish & color. (Matte Black) This points to buying all of them from the same manufacturer, at the same time. Am I wrong?

2. Where might be a good place online to go to get this stuff? I have looked at Brownell's Gun Builder several times. I remain unsure about my choices, and what I should be paying. (I kind of like the look of the original M-16, but with the flat-top w/picatinny rail)

3. I'm interested in an average gun. Nothing too fancy. What parts will fit the bill? (Feel free to suggest specific parts.)

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Don't get hung up on cosmetics over function. You can always paint whatever you put together that works well for you.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #3

Liked 999 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 998

bkt is right, cosmetics is the last thing to worry about, just build a good rifle. But if it really matters to you that major components match in color/finish then you might want to buy a factory complete AR. Even parts from the same manufacturer vary from batch to batch so you could build a rifle with parts from just one manufacturer yet have different color and finish. The manufacturer has an advantage here since they have lots of parts and can make some attempt to match parts that are close in finish.

As far as which parts to get I think you need to give this more thought. What are you going to use the rifle for? How accurate, which caliber, which barrel profile/weight, stock/grip/handguards/rails, etc.?

To me the ideal AR is a 16" lightweight profile midlength 1:7" barrel, flat top receiver, M4/MOE/CTR style stock and MOE handguards. You might want to look at something like that and of course move in the direction you ultimately want to go. Take a look at some of the build threads for more info - and good luck!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I consider BCMs lightweight mid length uppers a great place to start.

As far as furniture color sticking to the same manufacturer is a safe plan. The same for the recievers, though you may have slight variation. In that case purchase a bolt action and have someone carve you out a nice piece of wood, . Just playing. I wouldnt get to wrapped up in color matching.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Default Get it to work well on command then paint it

building an AR is fun and when you buy kits sometimes they well have substandard parts in the fire control group or in the many springs and pins that they put in a kit so you will have to swap them out just do your research and ALWAYS keep the basic components mill spec that way you can find parts when you need them instead of having to replace an entire half of your gun just because a fly by night gun mfg goes out of business and quits making that nifty idea they had. Ive had to do that once and its not cheap. Take your time make it work right then disassemble it than paint it or durra coat it and you will be fine. ive found that most ar's finish is the same anyway

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 628

Quentin: 5.56 Cal, mostly for plinking now, also as a SHTF gun, lighter weight overall, 16-20" Barrel, average accuracy @ 200 Yds, I sort of like the original M-16 look, but definately flat top w/picatinny rail, scope in the future, but iron sights for right now.

As far as the finish & color from one manufacturer, there should be no excuse for parts made at about the same time not to very closely match.

As far as painting it, why would I pay for something to have a finish put on it, and then cover it up with spray paint? And, if you were to go buy a car, and the paint one the fenders & hood didn't match, would you buy the car? I doubt it. If it's something that HAS to be to build a gun, so be it. I still think it would look retarded.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

clr8ter,

There are several good companies out there that make every effort to produce lowers and uppers that match. I have built several from Rock River Receivers some a couple of years apart between the production of the lower and the upper I used. I can not detect any difference. One reason is they hand polish and then bead blast all of their receivers and then do the anodizing themselves with the same process and specifications. Might cost a little more than some of the others but if the finish is very important to you as it is. I would give them a look!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #8

Liked 999 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Quentin: 5.56 Cal, mostly for plinking now, also as a SHTF gun, lighter weight overall, 16-20" Barrel, average accuracy @ 200 Yds, I sort of like the original M-16 look, but definately flat top w/picatinny rail, scope in the future, but iron sights for right now.

As far as the finish & color from one manufacturer, there should be no excuse for parts made at about the same time not to very closely match.

As far as painting it, why would I pay for something to have a finish put on it, and then cover it up with spray paint? And, if you were to go buy a car, and the paint one the fenders & hood didn't match, would you buy the car? I doubt it. If it's something that HAS to be to build a gun, so be it. I still think it would look retarded.
clr8ter, please reread my post, I never suggested that you paint it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #9

Wow the whole snotty paint thing was just not cool if your that stuck up about how your gun looks instead of if it can save your life then well you need to re prioritize things and I was just giving a suggestion to your question that you asked I might add and if you want to just post rude remarks to your questions then don't ask. You can always tell a veteran because they pick up a weapon and look at it as to think of how comfortable to sleep with weather than how pretty she is

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Worrying about color matching the upper and lower receivers on a rifle designed for combat is, well, you know...