Steel Rounds for your AR? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Steel Rounds for your AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I did not say I hated Wolf, or any other steel cased ammo. I did not tell anyone it would not work in their guns. I did not say anyone should not use it. I simply stated that I felt it was not for me, and I stated why, based on my own personal experience. That is my opinion. You have your opinion. You are welcome to it.

Having said that, I'll move on to some place where different opinions are welcome, and the people who give them are given respect, not derision.
Again, nobody has singled you out or directed anything at you. Don't take it personally.

This is a very friendly site. The waters are just a little turbulent at the moment. Hand out for a while.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Understood. But how could I conclude that your comments were directed at other then me? If you review the thread I'm the only person who said anything negative about steel ammo. So who else could you be talking about? But even if you aren't singling people out, why make the editorial comments at all? Just because someone's opinion doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean that they "don't' know what they are talking about" or that their opinions are "drivel". I happen to have had a bad experience with steel cased ammo. Other's haven't. That doesn't make either of us right. Or either of us wrong. It just means we have different opinions, based on different experiences. Let it go at that.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Understood. But how could I conclude that your comments were directed at other then me? If you review the thread I'm the only person who said anything negative about steel ammo. So who else could you be talking about? But even if you aren't singling people out, why make the editorial comments at all? Just because someone's opinion doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean that they "don't' know what they are talking about" or that their opinions are "drivel". I happen to have had a bad experience with steel cased ammo. Other's haven't. That doesn't make either of us right. Or either of us wrong. It just means we have different opinions, based on different experiences. Let it go at that.
I see where you are coming from but think about what I said. Certain manufacturers are known for out of spec and/or tight chambers. What was the manufacturer of the AR you had problems w/?

It's not about opinion it's about fact. If it was the ammunitions fault wouldn't everyone have the same problems w/ it?

I've tried everything to get a malfunction, even running a mixture of brass and steel in the same mag.

From my understanding it was the lacquer coating causing the problems. They no longer use lacquer.

Try some, save yourself some money.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Heii.. can we just assume this post is dead n closed?? Geez!! Its only about ammo. Lol

Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I meant this thread not post.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Steel is less resilient than brass. When a cartridge fires the pressure expands the casing against the sides of the chamber. When the pressure eases off, brass partially contracts, making extraction very easy. Steel doesn't contract. It remains expanded against the chamber walls. I've seen too many people at the range driving cleaning rods down their barrels to knock stuck casings out. Not for me. Especially when Wally World is selling American Eagle .223 for $5.97 a box of 20.
Exactly the opposite. Steel doesn't fire-form to your chamber like brass. This allows combustion waste to blowby the case neck and leave deposits in the chamber. This is why the cases get stuck. Usually its when someone tries to run brass after steel. Or if a poly or lacquer case gets chambered into a hot chamber and is allowed to cool before firing.

@ $200/case 62 gr Wolf HP is tough to beat.

I personally prefer wolf over Tula, as I had 300 rds of whitebox that wouldn't run in my DPMS. But I've run at least 4k wolf in my old barrel without a single issue. When that bbl was new, I shot a 3/8" 3 shot group at 100 yds with wolf. It was a 16" 1:8 stainless fluted bbl. 7 other shooters and the class instructor witnessed.

I just put an 18" WOA HBAR 1:8 SPR on it, not sure how it'll run the Wolf.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-05-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Heii.. can we just assume this post is dead n closed?? Geez!! Its only about ammo. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
I meant this thread not post.
Pointless posts.

There are men discussing (not arguing) important things here. Important? you ask. Important because whats a firearm w/o ammunition.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Paladin just to clear this matter up, no I was not talking to you and you alone. I was referring to the people that comment on this ammo and have shot very little to none of it. And I can promise you if you look hard enough you will find a guy that doesnt like it just cause the casing is green. But you sir have had a bad experience with this ammo and I totally understand your view.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #29

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher79
Paladin just to clear this matter up, no I was not talking to you and you alone. I was referring to the people that comment on this ammo and have shot very little to none of it. And I can promise you if you look hard enough you will find a guy that doesnt like it just cause the casing is green. But you sir have had a bad experience with this ammo and I totally understand your view.
To your point...I am one who had reservations about it, yet had never even held any, much less lit one off. That's why I asked the question of MJ, and frankly you guys have talked me into trying it. That's why I'm here...to learn through others practical experience.

And you can bet I'll report back any issues!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
To your point...I am one who had reservations about it, yet had never even held any, much less lit one off. That's why I asked the question of MJ, and frankly you guys have talked me into trying it. That's why I'm here...to learn through others practical experience.

And you can bet I'll report back any issues!!
And if you have any issues make sure it wasn't your firearm. Check chamber size, make sure you have the proper buffer, and make sure you lubbed it up good.

-John Ruskin

Quote: