Steel Rounds for your AR? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Steel Rounds for your AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
When I can get 62 grain HP Tula for $3 and some change $6 is a lot.

I shoot Tula quite frequently. Last week I put 500 rounds of it down range is quick succession. I tend to shoot like I would if it were a defensive situation, fast. Guess what, no problems other than people complaining about the noise.

There's a problem w/ your rifle if it's not able to run steel case ammo reliably. Out of spec chambers.
Where you getting this ammo from ? Hopefully online where I can order some ...

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
That does make sense, then. I assume it is non-corrosive as well? I was under the assumption that most of the "eastern bloc" ammo was cold war surplus, and have stayed away from it, no matter case material or the $$$ incentive. You said it shoots softer...my AR is a piston gun. Any issues with cycling one of those in your opinion? It is "self regulating", so I can't adjust it.
Wolf and Tula are new manufacture. Check out Aimsurplus.

I also have a piston gun and it runs great in it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
ok good to know cause I have been wanting to use it but every time I go to buy some the people at the stores always tell me not too cause it will mess up my gun.... so i dont. Also is there somewhere you can find it local other than online? I have found some at a gun shop here but they want $7 a box for wolf and I am not paying that. Academy sells some but Its Monarch brand and I have never heard of it. It's 4.99 a box of 20.
Aimsurplus, $99 for 500, $189 for 1k.

I would avoid your LGS like the plague charging that for steel. They probably do the same for everything else as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Thanks. I like you too.
Nothing against you, I don't even know you. The thing is steel runs in all of my ARs and those of others. I'm sure the talk had merit but not anymore.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I think everyone ELSE should stop buying steelcase ammo for their AR. Would reduce the price I have to pay!

I shoot wolf in both my DI and my piston AR's, no problems.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #14

I've got 500 rounds of Wolf .223 that should be here tomorrow afternoon. Got it for $100 from AimSurplus.

As soon as I get paid, which is tomorrow, I'll probably order another 500 rounds of it, as well as 500 rounds of Wolf in 9mm.

I've run steel case in multiple weapons and haven't had a problem. If you're leery, just buy a few boxes to try it out in your weapon. When you find out it runs great, then buy bundles and bundles of it.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really don't understand some peoples hate for wolf/Tull they say it damages extractors and it's not good ammo. I personally have burnt up thousands of rounds of this ammo and I mean multiple thousands of rounds in ak-47,1911's,9mm's and never had an extractor Peter out never any kind of ammo malfunction or problems. And also no jamming I can't speak for AR-15's because I'm not a fan so I never have owned one but I can speak for wolf/Tul I trust it in any firearm I own.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I did not say I hated Wolf, or any other steel cased ammo. I did not tell anyone it would not work in their guns. I did not say anyone should not use it. I simply stated that I felt it was not for me, and I stated why, based on my own personal experience. That is my opinion. You have your opinion. You are welcome to it.

Having said that, I'll move on to some place where different opinions are welcome, and the people who give them are given respect, not derision.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
I did not say I hated Wolf, or any other steel cased ammo. I did not tell anyone it would not work in their guns. I did not say anyone should not use it. I simply stated that I felt it was not for me, and I stated why, based on my own personal experience. That is my opinion. You have your opinion. You are welcome to it.

Having said that, I'll move on to some place where different opinions are welcome, and the people who give them are given respect, not derision.
I did not see where anyone has claimed you hated anything...therefore I'm not convinced he was talking about you. I could be wrong.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #18

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

You hear so often Wolf/Tula is corrosive and wears out extractors but that's unfounded. It is a little dirtier and like MJ said, slightly underpowered (so it may not cycle every AR) and not as accurate. And even if it is harder on the extractor, let's say you get 4,000 rounds of extractor life instead of 8,000. Have you looked at the cost of an extractor and how easy it is to install? I'd say 8K of Wolf at 1/2 the price of cheap brass pays for a lot of extractors and cleaning kits.

Anyway, you've got nothing to lose so why not give it a try! And you don't have to look too hard to find it for 20 cents a round, what's not to like about that. Reloaders may have an argument for brass casings but if you don't reload try steel case.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You hear so often Wolf/Tula is corrosive and wears out extractors but that's unfounded. It is a little dirtier and like MJ said, slightly underpowered (so it may not cycle every AR) and not as accurate. And even if it is harder on the extractor, let's say you get 4,000 rounds of extractor life instead of 8,000. Have you looked at the cost of an extractor and how easy it is to install? I'd say 8K of Wolf at 1/2 the price of cheap brass pays for a lot of extractors and cleaning kits.

Anyway, you've got nothing to lose so why not give it a try! And you don't have to look too hard to find it for 20 cents a round, what's not to like about that. Reloaders may have an argument for brass casings but if you don't reload try steel case.
I'm gonna try it...I have a piston 5.56 and a DI AR-10. They will both see some. You guys have convinced me.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I used Wolf Ammo (steel) for my DD. Used 480 out of 1000 so far flawlessly. And also just ordered Remington 1k rounds Brass. Cant wait to shot those ammo.

forumrunner_20120104_180530.jpg