Steel Rounds for your AR?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Steel Rounds for your AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Steel Rounds for your AR?

I have seen on youtube a video about using steel rounds in a AR with a lesser barrel than 20". Something about the timing being changed due to a shorter barrel will cause the extractor to damage over time on a steel round like Wolf or something similar. And I have also heard it makes your AR or any weapon dirty. Whatever that means. Can someone explain to me is it safe to use or not. I use wolf on my SKS and its fires fine. I am looking to use cheaper ammo so if someone could shed some light on the subject for me that would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Yes! Try them out, they're not going to hurt anything. See if your S&W likes them. My ArmaLite and Daniel Defense have no problems with them and I used steel case all the time.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Steel is less resilient than brass. When a cartridge fires the pressure expands the casing against the sides of the chamber. When the pressure eases off, brass partially contracts, making extraction very easy. Steel doesn't contract. It remains expanded against the chamber walls. I've seen too many people at the range driving cleaning rods down their barrels to knock stuck casings out. Not for me. Especially when Wally World is selling American Eagle .223 for $5.97 a box of 20.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When I can get 62 grain HP Tula for $3 and some change $6 is a lot.

I shoot Tula quite frequently. Last week I put 500 rounds of it down range is quick succession. I tend to shoot like I would if it were a defensive situation, fast. Guess what, no problems other than people complaining about the noise.

There's a problem w/ your rifle if it's not able to run steel case ammo reliably. Out of spec chambers.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have run Tula in mine and it runs great

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
When I can get 62 grain HP Tula for $3 and some change $6 is a lot.

I shoot Tula quite frequently. Last week I put 500 rounds of it down range is quick succession. I tend to shoot like I would if it were a defensive situation, fast. Guess what, no problems other than people complaining about the noise.

There's a problem w/ your rifle if it's not able to run steel case ammo reliably. Out of spec chambers.
Why then all the noise about steel cased rounds? Is it something that is propagated to induce the firearms community into buying higher priced ammo? I'm not saying that you are wrong, or even that I don't believe you. I've read some of your other posts, and from those can tell you pretty well know your stuff. So having said that, why in your opinion, is there all the bad press for the steel?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Why then all the noise about steel cased rounds? Is it something that is propagated to induce the firearms community into buying higher priced ammo? I'm not saying that you are wrong, or even that I don't believe you. I've read some of your other posts, and from those can tell you pretty well know your stuff. So having said that, why in your opinion, is there all the bad press for the steel?
It's leftover drivel from when it was coated in lacquer and people who don't know what they are talking about and those trying to shoot it out of ARs w/ out of spec chambers. Compare the ones claiming it is horrible to the ones saying it will work.

I went to grab a few boxes out of the safe and was shocked at how little I had left. I have been underestimating the amount of Tula I have been shooting. Even w/ shooting 3 gun twice a month through the summer I was able to go through a couple cases plus. I don't go out much but when I do I make a day out of it.

I will say it is not as hot as rounds like the 193 or as accurate but it functions perfectly for me. It shoots a lot softer as well which makes recoil even less. I like that a lot as it helps follow up shots.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

It's leftover drivel from when it was coated in lacquer and people who don't know what they are talking about and those trying to shoot it out of ARs w/ out of spec chambers. Compare the ones claiming it is horrible to the ones saying it will work.

I went to grab a few boxes out of the safe and was shocked at how little I had left. I have been underestimating the amount of Tula I have been shooting. Even w/ shooting 3 gun twice a month through the summer I was able to go through a couple cases plus. I don't go out much but when I do I make a day out of it.

I will say it is not as hot as rounds like the 193 or as accurate but it functions perfectly for me. It shoots a lot softer as well which makes recoil even less. I like that a lot as it helps follow up shots.
That does make sense, then. I assume it is non-corrosive as well? I was under the assumption that most of the "eastern bloc" ammo was cold war surplus, and have stayed away from it, no matter case material or the $$$ incentive. You said it shoots softer...my AR is a piston gun. Any issues with cycling one of those in your opinion? It is "self regulating", so I can't adjust it.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

ok good to know cause I have been wanting to use it but every time I go to buy some the people at the stores always tell me not too cause it will mess up my gun.... so i dont. Also is there somewhere you can find it local other than online? I have found some at a gun shop here but they want $7 a box for wolf and I am not paying that. Academy sells some but Its Monarch brand and I have never heard of it. It's 4.99 a box of 20.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
and people who don't know what they are talking about
Thanks. I like you too.