Steel-Cased Ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Steel-Cased Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I've read enough stories about mishaps with Russian stuff that I stay away from it. It may actually work fine, but prices for decent ammo aren't so high that I'm willing to mess around.

Reports are it's dirty, so you will be spending more time cleaning. Some ammo has a lacquer coating that comes off in the chamber. People reported screwing up their extractor because a casing got stuck. FTF/FTEs are reportedly common.

This could all be nonsense -- I have no first-hand experience.

Wolf works fine in an AK (WASR) or SKS probably because these rifles have a little more play and a higher tolerance for variances.
My bolt action 30.06 shooting the green steel Barnaul ammo with the red sealant will cause a FTE from 5% of the time(a great day), to 100% of the time (every round requires extraction-a not so great day).

I have been told this is due to the lacquer breaking down and re-solidifying, essentially gluing the bolt shut. It takes alot of muscle to force it back open, sometimes I have had to use a rubber mallet to force it open!

It's pretty much the same stuff as Wolf (I seldom had a problem with their 7.62-but the same thing happens, but you get FTF as well with semi-auto), but in my experience the Russian stuff does indeed cause FTE.