Steel-Cased Ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Steel-Cased Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Steel-Cased Ammo?

Some say it's a big no-no, others do it all the time.

I hope this hasn't been beat to death, but I shoot steel cased Russian stuff in my Colt. No ill effects as of yet.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I've read enough stories about mishaps with Russian stuff that I stay away from it. It may actually work fine, but prices for decent ammo aren't so high that I'm willing to mess around.

Reports are it's dirty, so you will be spending more time cleaning. Some ammo has a lacquer coating that comes off in the chamber. People reported screwing up their extractor because a casing got stuck. FTF/FTEs are reportedly common.

This could all be nonsense -- I have no first-hand experience.

Wolf works fine in an AK (WASR) or SKS probably because these rifles have a little more play and a higher tolerance for variances.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Steel Cased ammo?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I've really only used it in my COMBLOC items LIke an AK clone and an SKS, never any issue or Problem! I did see one yonger fellow with a COLT H Bar and an CAR-15, He had all sorts of Jams and Sticking cases in the chamber and I've heard that from others as well! The Polimer Coated stuff even worse,! I've not had an Issue, can only say what5 I did and what I saw?

RON

Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

I recently purchased a Glock 27 for my wife from a friend, and he gave me approx 500 rounds of Wolf ammo with it. I've heard the same things about the steel cases wearing out/breaking parts over time and how dirty it is to shoot. I have to admit that it is very dirty, and seems to be all over the place as far as accuracy (I cleaned thee weapon very thouroughly and returned to the range with a box of Federal, and saw much better performance at the same distances). I didn't have any jaming issues with the Wolf ammo, just (percieved) accuracy issues.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #5

With .223 ammo prices going up every day, I bought some wolf MC poly coat to try out. I went through 1/2 a case now and have had no problems. It is under powered and not as accurate as xm193 but it is fine for plinking. I will be buying more.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default Wolf in a Colt

IF I were hard up I MIGHT shoot some wolf through my AR's. Some being the operative term. NEVER allow wolf to sit in a hot chamber, Period. The laquer will stick to the chamber walls and cause problems. Life is too short to shoot crappy ammo.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #7

I use Wolf ,Silver Bear with no problems they are run through UZIs and MACs
They eat anything

Later Joe

Old 07-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I avoid steel cased ammo in pistols (the only problems I have encountered with steel is in pistol ammo). I shoot Wolf exclusivley in my AK. I use it for plinking ammo in my ARs. Its dirty and hard on extractors, but the savings over brass for plinking will buy a lot of extractors and brushes.

Quote:
NEVER allow wolf to sit in a hot chamber, Period. The laquer will stick to the chamber walls and cause problems.
I have never seen an example of this. You can hold a maap gas torch to a Wolf Poly case, and not soften the coating so I doubt your chamber will get hot enough to do so.

Last edited by BrassMonkey; 07-03-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The myth about Wolf and other similar steel cased ammo is that it will wear your gun out quicker because the steel is much harder then brass. Well yes hardened steel would definetly do some damage but this is soft steel, as soft as brass. It is no doubt dirty, but any ammo will cause rust and corrosion if you store the gun without cleaning it, you may just have to clean it better and quicker. The reason Wolf has less ejection velocity and jams from time to time is from the green laquer coating and bullet sealant. I've been told that Wolf no longer uses the red type of sealant and now uses a polymer coating which has cut down on jams. I've only used the older Wolf which may have spawned my dislike for it. But it is safe for your gun and great for plinking because of how cheap it is.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #10

I have run it thru my Mini-14 and Mini-30, most not that accurate but some is okay. For the price if it works for you go for it.

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS