Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Steel ammo what does it do to the gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/steel-ammo-what-does-do-gun-44761/)

synical 07-05-2011 08:10 PM

Steel ammo what does it do to the gun?

I have been looking for some cheap ammo just to stock up on and also just for target practice. I see that Steel is cheap but I have heard bad things about it. As such being that it can make your gun jam and very dirty and also is not very good for it. What is everyone's opinion on this and do you know where to get cheap bulk ammo in .223? Thanks for the help! :D

orangello 07-05-2011 08:26 PM

Maybe it works OK on some AR's, but the only person i know who tried it had a lot of jams & a lot of cleaning to do afterwords. He then swore it off. His rifle was a DPMS.

synical 07-05-2011 08:55 PM

yeah I have heard its crap all the way around. I have a S&W but I am sure it reacts the same on all AR's.

dnthmn2004 07-05-2011 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its dirty as heck with AR-15s. I swore it off after 100 rounds. Jammed solid... S&W lower, Daniel Defense upper, LMT bolt carrier.

These are some spent cases, imagine what my chamber looked like...

JonM 07-05-2011 09:16 PM

its fine if you got a chrome lined chamber. a chrome lined bore to go with the chrome lined chamber is even better. the lining on the chamber will keep the cases from sticking which is why some folks have issues others dont. accuracy is not good it is exceedingly dirty so be prepaired in having some of those very long gas tube pipe cleaners on hand. a chromed bolt to go with the above is really icing on the cake. AR bolts, bolt parts, and barrels arent that pricey so extra wear isnt a real big issue.

i wouldnt run it through a NM barrel or an AR barrel you care about.

mjkeat 07-05-2011 10:35 PM

I strongly disagree. I mostly use steel through my LWRC, DD, etc. as fast as allowed w/o problems. All my ARs past present and future will be fed a continuous diet of steel cased bi-metal ammo. As many of you have read I don't follow the strictest of cleaning regiments either. Hell, I even run a mix of both brass and steel throughout the day w/o problems.

Dont be scared of the steel ;)

doctherock 07-05-2011 11:03 PM

I run the steel case russian through both the mini14 and ak74 with no defects. Bit more cleaning afterwards but no failures.

canebrake 07-05-2011 11:44 PM

My Colt LE6940 eats Wolf and Golden Bear with no problems.

cpttango30 07-05-2011 11:50 PM

I'm the ammo snob. I wouldn't run that veal in any of my guns. Then again I look for the best accuracy so I roll my own.

For plinking I would think it wouldn't be that bad just watch for build up in the chamber.

rodent.22 07-05-2011 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 580 series mini EATS Wolf, nary a problem of any sort....