Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Starting up.. need some direction!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Starting up.. need some direction!

hey guys,

I joined here because I want an AR, but I'd like to build it myself. At first, I thought it was cheaper, and I spoke with my dad who used to be a huge gun fanatic, and said it's not necessarily cheaper to build it.. which doesn't really make much sense to me.. but so be it.. I still want to get the satisfaction of building it on my own.. I don't really care about the cost, since this is going to be a nice long project for me. I have a general knowledge of guns since I'm military, but not enough to build my own. So where do I start? After reading a bit on here, I know that some people recommend building the lower and purchasing a complete upper for a first time project. So first things first, purchase the lower receiver and work up from there? Or read a book first? I'll definitely be documenting this as I go for other novices like myself.. then maybe I can help someone else with my experiences.. Thanks for any help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There are about 5 threads at the top of this section that deal with people doing the exact same thing you are looking at doing.

If you can assemble a table from Ikea, you can build an AR. The table might actually be harder come to think of it.

The lower is a piece of cake. Some loudmouthed wannebe did a How To guide on building the lower, it's stickied here also, so I would look that over and order some parts.

You need to go through an FFL to get your lower receiver, but outside of that, the rest of the stuff can be shipped right to your door.

You will find that plenty of folks around here started RIGHT where you are now and ended up learning a ton in the process.

I assume they will be along shortly to egg you on and encourage you.

JD

Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Just do it!

And when you want some advice or help, just yell and some will be glad to answer your questions.

Read these threads:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-15-build-here-i-go-28708/index2.html#post305912

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-time-has-come-22019/index3.html#post210962

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-build-did-you-your-thoughts-29700/#post320504

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/sig-556-build-my-own-ar-29934/index2.html#post324101

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/considering-ar-build-29776/#post321587

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f61/spittys-ar-build-21986/index5.html#post210572

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

Watch this series of videos. It will tell you EVERYTHING! Have fun and good luck.

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Old 08-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What JD said. There's more information on AR building than you can shake a stick at here. I came along in February, having never considered building ANY kind of firearm, I wasn't sure it was even legal to own an AR here in Kommiefornia. After hanging around, seeing the pics and the tutorials for about fourmonths, I could no longer help myself. I built a 20" LCW/DTI hybrid, and I couldn't be happier with it!
Go now, young one, and assemble fun rifles.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #6

i appreciate all of your input.. but still one question remains.. how much money, if any will I be saving on my own build.. the old man always wants to be the end all be all of any advice, he says it won't be any cheaper to build my own.. just to buy one if i want one.. not sure if he thinks i won't be able to do it, or if he's actually right.. input? anyone here who loves to prove the old man wrong knows what i'm talkin about!!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyg00se19 View Post
i appreciate all of your input.. but still one question remains.. how much money, if any will I be saving on my own build.. the old man always wants to be the end all be all of any advice, he says it won't be any cheaper to build my own.. just to buy one if i want one.. not sure if he thinks i won't be able to do it, or if he's actually right.. input? anyone here who loves to prove the old man wrong knows what i'm talkin about!!
Well I've been searching for parts based on price rather then quality ( I don't shoot much and I can always replace them) and I've come up with a total of $550 for a completely basic rifle. But then you have to factor in the shipping and one FFL transfer. So there is a little money to be saved but not a whole lot. I'm going to search around at local gun stored too so maybe I can save a little on shipping. But another thing to factor in is you can space out your spending so you don't have to put all the money down at once. It's kinda like a layaway in a way.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyg00se19 View Post
Right now CDNN has a S&W flat top that is $699 with a $100 mail in rebate. You really aren't going to be able to assemble a complete gun cheaper than that.

However, you will be able to assemble a gun with MUCH BETTER parts for around $900-$1000 if you shop around and do some research.

If the bottom line is cost for a functioning gun, the CDNN deal is going to be difficult to top. If your bottom line is the best gun for the money, you should build one.

JD

Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #9

Congrats on accepting the challenge to build your own. From personal experience, I can tell you it is very rewarding. Another big benefit is the ability to build a 'custom rifle,' of parts you chose for a reason. This brings me to my next point.

It's been my experience that the parts that come in the lower receiver parts kits are adequate, but far from exceptional. I would urge you to seek a better trigger group for your first build. The difference in the 'bone stock' trigger compared to even a mid range trigger (like a 2 stage RRA) is huge.

For the first build, buy the upper complete, and hand select the parts for the lower. The gun will be a better final product.

PS: This upper is a steal:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-ar-15-a3-flattop-upper-assembly-399-99-a-30142/

Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck on your build. i just ran into a lil bit of money ($350)and am about to start my build... that is if i can find a lower here in kommiefornia... wish me luck... any recommendations are welcome especially from those of you in SD...

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."