Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > starting a second build...need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default starting a second build...need advice

ok well i'm thinkin of startin a second ar-15 build...i was thinkin of gettin a 16" barrel...any advice on what kind to get? should i stick with a 1/8 twist? or would a 1/7 be better for a short barrel? and i'm more then likely not gonna have sights on it...gonna go with an acog or reddot scope...so does anyone know what the longest freefloating quadrail system they make is? the longest i've seen is 13.5" any advice on which brand to go with?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

where have we seen this before?.....

OK bra, what do you want to do with it? Lots of posts about this all over the forum. Budget? How much will it be shot?

Standing by

Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #3

budget isn't an issue...since it's a build i'm doin myself i'll be able to get the parts as i can afford them instead of forkin out like $12,000 all at once for a premade rifle...mostly just gonna be for hmmm best way i can discribe it...got a friend who's cleared out some land and has build some make-shift "homes" and we just gonna be doing...well in my case learning some tactical entry and since it's live fire unless he can get simuniton rounds it'll be 1 person at a time type thing....and if that doesn't go through it's just gonna be for fun out door shooting lol and it'll be shot as often as i get a chance lol

Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, we have been here before.

For a 16" barrel, the best choice, especially for a SHTF gun, is a chrome-lined GI barrel. They are the cheapest and most common barrel, but you can shoot the hell out of them for days on end and not worry about them wearing out.

I would get a 5.56mm chamber. Then you can shoot civilian .223 without an issue.

Since you aren't getting a match grade barrel, you need to think about a free float fore-end. YHM is my first choice as they make great stuff and it's highly affordable.

12.5" is about the max length of a free float tube from YHM, but that is MORE than enough for a 16" barrel.

You are going to need to think about either a mid, or full, length gas block and that will determine what fore-end to get.

JD

Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #5

this is probably a dumb question but what's the difference in a mid and full length gas block? i was just gonna get something low profile so the fore end would cover it

Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #6

and the reason i ask about the fore end is because i don't personally care for the look of the round fore end so i was gonna go with the quadrail and i also kindda like the look of only alil bit of barrel showin....almost like havin the 14'' barrel and a 12.5'' fore end...you end up with only like 2'' of barrel showin...i know it's a dumb reason but i figure since i'm buildin it i might as well have it look the way i like....right?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The only difference is performance.

A mid length gas block bleeds pressure from behind the round earlier in the lauch sequence.

A full length gas block bleeds gas close to the end of the barrel, which is better for performance. Or so a lot of people claim.

Personally, I think the best thing you can do is get a full length gas tube with a set of fold down back up iron sights.

But that is me.

JD

Old 12-23-2009, 02:59 AM   #8

well then i guess that settles that part of the build lol...full length gas block it is...i'll keep the fold down back up iron sights in mind ...any brand barrel you recommend? and just curious what do you mean by SHTF? i'm sure i should know and probably do but never hear of it like that

Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
well then i guess that settles that part of the build lol...full length gas block it is...i'll keep the fold down back up iron sights in mind ...any brand barrel you recommend? and just curious what do you mean by SHTF? i'm sure i should know and probably do but never hear of it like that
SHTF...when the poop hits the circulating air moving device

There are a lot of non chromed bbls out there, like my bro said, chrome it and dont worry about it. Not looking for extreme accuracy, so no issue. If you are looking to get a full upper (actually more cost effective at this point in time if you watch the sales) take a gander at BCM from Bravo Company USA.

For your usage I recommend a set of sights. Back ups arent a nice to have item, a must have. Can range from Troy to MAGPUL. MAGPULS are innovative, but I havent had a chance to beat the snot outta them yet to see if they hold up.

If you are looking for an ACOG drop me a PM; or red dot I can give you a good source.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #10

i've definitaly been checkin out BCM....only problem is all the stuff i like that's on there is like $1200 lol there's was a niice one i saw but i can't remember the sight now it had a niice 16'' barrel with a 13.5'' fore end i believe it was free floating and chrome lined...and i wanna say it was like $1000...it might have be Lerul?? i dunno