Starting to plan for my first AR15 build - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Starting to plan for my first AR15 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmania View Post
... yeah your right half build it would still have a piece of us in the build. Your dead right " crawl b4 walk"
I don't see it that way... if you select the parts you really want then let the factory put together the upper then test fire, well you're still in charge of your custom build and it's your build, not something off the rack.

You could even then add an assembled lower with exactly the parts you want, like a BCM for example and still have YOUR build. Most of us do put together the lower but in the end the true build is done in your brain not necessarily on your workbench. Make the right decisions, buy quality and you can claim a lot more than a piece of the build.

I did a build your own upper by choosing the components I wanted then let Daniel Defense put it together. Then added it to my own custom lower. It is MY design, my build. So do your best then name it and claim it!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-30-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I did the same build your own and now I have a factory built (DD) "custom" upper that I put on a DD lower I assembled w/ the parts of my choice. Rarely do you find someone capable of assembling an AR like the factory. Well there are exceptions but we won't get into that.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I did the same build your own and now I have a factory built (DD) "custom" upper that I put on a DD lower I assembled w/ the parts of my choice. Rarely do you find someone capable of assembling an AR like the factory. Well there are exceptions but we won't get into that.
You did it the smart way and ended up with a custom complete Daniel Defense AR of your design that would have been very hard to buy otherwise. It may say DD all over it but definitely it is YOUR build! And after a year you've put it through the wringer and know you can depend on it. Yeah I'd say that's pretty damn smart!

As far as exceptions, well you wouldn't have those factories touch YOUR build...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 AM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I don't see it that way... if you select the parts you really want then let the factory put together the upper then test fire, well you're still in charge of your custom build and it's your build, not something off the rack.

You could even then add an assembled lower with exactly the parts you want, like a BCM for example and still have YOUR build. Most of us do put together the lower but in the end the true build is done in your brain not necessarily on your workbench. Make the right decisions, buy quality and you can claim a lot more than a piece of the build.

I did a build your own upper by choosing the components I wanted then let Daniel Defense put it together. Then added it to my own custom lower. It is MY design, my build. So do your best then name it and claim it!
Thanks Quentin for those words of inspiration

Old 03-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
You did it the smart way and ended up with a custom complete Daniel Defense AR of your design that would have been very hard to buy otherwise. It may say DD all over it but definitely it is YOUR build! And after a year you've put it through the wringer and know you can depend on it. Yeah I'd say that's pretty damn smart!

As far as exceptions, well you wouldn't have those factories touch YOUR build...
Thank you.

Peace of mind is nice as is knowing you own a solid piece of kit.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Solid peace of kit/ ****???

Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmania View Post
Solid peace of kit/ ****???

Your spelling means nothing, his means a solid piece of gear or in this case AR.

______

Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah. Didn't understand kit. Thanks for clearing that up Quenten. Still learning all the bi-lingo

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #29

I think the Brits popularized this new meaning of kit then it caught on elsewhere. Anyway, the first time I heard it used this way was by a Brit about ten years ago.

______

Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok. Now, how about IMO