Starting to plan for my first AR15 build - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Starting to plan for my first AR15 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1609 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

Which BCM upper? You can drop hammer forging to save $90 or so, not losing much but up to you. I'd go with the BCM BCG, might as well stick with same brand and save $10 plus extra shipping.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #102

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

Here's the upper. For $90 I'd rather keep the chf

It's just that I saw a DD complete w/ milspec 1/7 CL I believe it was the v5 series. Flat top for bout 1200 w/ my discount mayb 1100. Comes w/ case sling mounts fore grip( not a concern) but I would need more mags, magpul sights. Would change stock n handle to d earth or odgreen and just for alil more appeal rail covers.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #103

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Dont get me wrong I like this upper but to naked. To much barrel showing. I could take the front sight off put a low profile gas block the my flat top on. But $$$$ keeps adding.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Glock your thought processes are hard to follow! Slow down, think it out. Then type what you think.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #105

Liked 347 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

My choice would be the 14.5 mid length lightweight barrel, Magpul MOE hand guards, with BCM BCG, Mod 3 or 4 charging handle, and pinned Surefire mb556k $748

748 complete upper
140 psa lower moe build kit
200 stripped lower (kind of expensive no?)
60 magpul mbus 2 rear.

smile on your face, priceless.

I'm pushing the LW barrel I know. But really, you will appreciate it. It is combat accurate, and will probably outshoot and outlast you. I highly recommend the mid length gas setup over carbine. The MB is a $132 option. I'd normally suggest you getting a standard a2, but seeing as how it will be welded and pinned due to its length., (because the 16" is out of stock, if you have patience wait for the 16" and get an a2 and save $132) and a the Surfire MB is one of the best MBs I've ever had the pleasure of shooting (it is really really loud tho), its a great option. BTW my friend that had it, paid $170ish tax included and paid $25 to have it pined and welded. $200....so $132 is a real bargain. BCM has it on their site as a $179 option. I do believe the 14.5 from bcm at G&R is BHF but you'll need to call them to confirm.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 04-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #106

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Srry about that. I'm just tryn to way this option of doing this build and dealing with the sight where it is then later down the road maybe changing it n getting rid of the stock front sight. If u go under bens. Todd has the flat top on his. I like that set up. But can't kind an upper w/o the sight unless i get it the flat top rail already installed n pay an extra 300. Which I'm not bout pay that much morr

Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Say again?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #108

Liked 347 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Say again?
When you say flat top, it ONLY refers to the top of the upper reciever.

I think you are confusing people as I believe you are referencing the lack of a front sight post with Todd's handguards as being a flat top.

If you are thinking about getting hand guards down the road. A 16" barrel as it will allow you remove the fsb and md more readily. You probably can do a 14.5 but you will have to cut down the FSB to make things easier.

I would highly recommend that you just cut down the FSB on BCM builds. Its free if you have the tools, its pinned real real good, and its lightweight, and its free, and its faster and its free. The way BCM builds their guns, it is a ROYAL pain in the @ss to remove the FSB. It takes 15 mins with tools to cut it down, sand it off, and spray paint it, and slide a nice rail or handguard over it. It took a gunsmith over an hour and he broke a few punches trying to remove my friend's FSB when he put a DD rail on his build. My friend even tipped the gunsmith an extra $20 for his troubles.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #109

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Lol. That's nuts. Srry for the confusion but you figured me out tiki. Thxs. So it's not welded on. Just pinned then I would have to put a low profile gas block on,right???

Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #110

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmania View Post
Srry about that. I'm just tryn to way this option of doing this build and dealing with the sight where it is then later down the road maybe changing it n getting rid of the stock front sight. If u go under bens. Todd has the flat top on his. I like that set up. But can't kind an upper w/o the sight unless i get it the flat top rail already installed n pay an extra 300. Which I'm not bout pay that much morr
Call Bravo, tell them which upper you want, but that you would like them to make it with a low profile gas block, rather than thinking 'this is the picture, I must do it this way', or call your local gunsmith and ask him what he'd charge to remove the front sight and install a low profile gas block.