Starting to plan for my first AR15 build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Starting to plan for my first AR15 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Starting to plan for my first AR15 build

I've been doing some research and almost bought one from my LGS or the range I go to. Thank god for a couple of great guys on here giving me more insight of the AR. (Tikki)
So now between dodging when I'm off from work and having family time. The rest of my time will be dedicated to my AR.
So far I found acouple of lowers I like thru spike but they are out of stock at the moment. Should I wait or find another. Price is $99. And I was looking at an enhanced LPK I think it was 150. I saw some alot cheaper but want alil advanced. Have never owned an AR before but rented them tru my range.
I'm lookn for an AR that will last me a life time, if possible. Good quality, want it for HP SD fun at the range and if this world we live in every falls to ****s. Forgive my French. I liked to be prepared for what shall ever come my way to protect my family. For saying all that, a wise man that I've been talking to has been giving me alot of insight but I'm open to more opinions and help through my way. Might be a long process depending on my job. But I'm all ready.
I saw a couple of uppers already assemble. Might wanna go that route just to save me alittle time. But how much cheaper really would it be to buy peace by peace for the upper. I saw some barrels for 300. And the uppers I found are thru DD fully loaded. They we nice pieces. One was 700 for 16" 5.56nato CL I would have to look at my sheet for the rest and they other was a SBR at 10.3" for 800. Which might not go for cause of all the work to get it.
Now I saw others build there whole AR right bout 8. Not tryn to offend any one but how good of quality is it. Would it be just as good as other. Should I go the cheaper route. Idk. Would like some help if anyone has some advise

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Noveske has some blemished lowers, or you could look at PSA lowers which Joe Bob outfitters usually have them in stock. If you are set on that lower you could look at some other online stores like buds, slickguns.com usually has a bunch of good deals from various venders as well.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Cool. I'll definitely check those sites out tomorrow after work. Yeah I heard PSA isn't bad at all. Thanks for the heads up silverado

Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I believe you said that your looking for a general use build that will serve as HD/SD with some range and plinking on the side.

Some notes.
Since you not looking for a precision build, I'd go with a lw or medium profile 16" barrel for a general use type barrel. I personally would love to have a SBR but if this is gonna be your first and only AR, I'd recommend a 16 or 14.5".

As for recommend a duty grade AR, look to Daniel Defence, BCM, Colt, LMT not necesarily in that order. IMO just pass on the Colt with the monolithic upper. You can't go wrong with any of the models from these manufacturers.

Are you looking for an old school carry handle and fixed fsb type? Flat top with fsb? Flt top with handguards/rail?

Nowadays building won't save you much price wisw but it will save you at least the 11% federal tax and you can get your rifle configured exactly how you want without having to buy and replace any excess parts. The upper will require specialize tools which will may or may not become another excuse to build a second AR. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. I sometimes find myself wondering if I just talked my friend into building an ar just to be able to help build another, or have another excuse to knock the dust off my tools. I got it bad.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #5

I believe you said that your looking for a general use build that will serve as HD/SD with some range and plinking on the side.

Some notes.
Since you not looking for a precision build, I'd go with a lw or medium profile 16" barrel for a general use type barrel. I personally would love to have a SBR but if this is gonna be your first and only AR, I'd recommend a 16 or 14.5".

As for recommend a duty grade AR, look to Daniel Defence, BCM, Colt, LMT not necesarily in that order. IMO just pass on the Colt with the monolithic upper. You can't go wrong with any of the models from these manufacturers.

Are you looking for an old school carry handle and fixed fsb type? Flat top with fsb? Flt top with handguards/rail?

Nowadays building won't save you much price wisw but it will save you at least the 11% federal tax and you can get your rifle configured exactly how you want without having to buy and replace any excess parts. The upper will require specialize tools which will may or may not become another excuse to build a second AR. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. I sometimes find myself wondering if I just talked my friend into building an ar just to be able to help build another, or have another excuse to knock the dust off my tools. I got it bad.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #6

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmania View Post
Now I saw others build there whole AR right bout 8. Not tryn to offend any one but how good of quality is it. Would it be just as good as other. Should I go the cheaper route. Idk. Would like some help if anyone has some advise
my $.02 - build your onw. I wouldn't take any other AR15 other than the one I built

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki

Some notes.

No old school. Don't really care for the carry handle. Most likely flat top with guard rails so I can attach a scope or red dot. I remember you saying something about a floating rail. Would the company be pacific if it is If I decide to go with my upper assembled the the company. But if I don't and decide to do it myself. What r all the tools I need? A vise. And torque wrench

Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

Off the top of my head, you need a barrel wrench, torque wrench, vise and upper receiver vise block.

I don't understand your 3rd sentence. Must be an Auto Correct (ironyyyyyy) error.

Companies such as Rainer Arms will happily make a custom upper to your spec. Just ask em!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Off the top of my head, you need a barrel wrench, torque wrench, vise and upper receiver vise block.

I don't understand your 3rd sentence. Must be an Auto Correct (ironyyyyyy) error.

Companies such as Rainer Arms will happily make a custom upper to your spec. Just ask em!
I think you answered him, and the question was would the company be specific if it is...and then you answered it with the Ranier Arms personalization.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #10

Thanks for interpreting

If you are only going to build one, cost wise it'll be cheaper to forgo the tools and have someone build it. If you are going to build multiples, investing in tools would make finanacial sense.