Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Starting my first AR-15 build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/starting-my-first-ar-15-build-90370/)

fa35jsf 05-09-2013 02:24 AM

Starting my first AR-15 build

3 Attachment(s)
Just got my upper in yesterday from Palmetto State Armory. Also bought a lower build kit from. Already had the BCG.

I bought the lower over the phone yesterday also. The only problem is it is 5 hours south of me sitting in Texas. Gonna have to make a drive and pick it up at some point.

I have learned some interesting things now that I have started this build. Like for instance, I never knew why there was all those grooves on the side of the bolt carrier. Now I know that those are there as a function of the forward assist button. Also, I never knew what the funny little semi cone shaped thing around the barrel just in front of the upper receiver was. Now I know it helps hold the barrel shroud on.

Anyways, here are the specs and pictures.

1:7" twist
Chrome Lined chamber and barrel
A2 flash hider
F-Marked front sight post
16" M4 profile barrel
A4 upper receiver with T-Marks

Quentin 05-09-2013 06:41 AM

That's pretty much what my last build was, PSA upper and LBK on my own stripped lower. My upper is a 16" midlength though. BCG is BCM. All went well as expected, yours should too.

fa35jsf 05-09-2013 02:22 PM

Yeah. My little problem is I got a big baggy full of lower parts, springs, pins, other crap....... and no directions or diagrams. Hey, I like a challenge :)

If I can't figure out where it all goes then there is always youtube ;)

mountainman13 05-09-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf (Post 1241718)
Yeah. My little problem is I got a big baggy full of lower parts, springs, pins, other crap....... and no directions or diagrams. Hey, I like a challenge :)

If I can't figure out where it all goes then there is always youtube ;)

Pretty hard to put the parts where they don't belong. Just don't over torque your barrel or castle nut.

fa35jsf 05-09-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1241725)
Pretty hard to put the parts where they don't belong. Just don't over torque your barrel or castle nut.

Barrel and castle nut????? My upper is already assembled

mountainman13 05-09-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf (Post 1241749)

Barrel and castle nut????? My upper is already assembled

Lol. Then you're golden.

fa35jsf 05-09-2013 02:43 PM

yeah I kind of figured putting parts in the wrong place wouldn't work or look right. I think I am going to approach this like a jigsaw puzzle.......... now where does that corner piece go?:D

mountainman13 05-09-2013 02:46 PM

The trigger assembly is probably the only thing you'll need direction on.

Quentin 05-09-2013 05:06 PM

One mistake people make is swapping the bolt hold open spring and the disconnector spring. Do the trigger group first, it's no fun redoing the BHO. (No, I haven't done it but can imagine!)

mountainman13 05-09-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1241895)
One mistake people make is swapping the bolt hold open spring and the disconnector spring. Do the trigger group first, it's no fun redoing the BHO. (No, I haven't done it but can imagine!)

I've never mixed the springs but I have redone the bho. As long as you don't drive the pin all the way out(just enough to clear the latch) it isn't bad. Still have to protect the lower from slips and glancing blows when you knock it back in.