Starting my AR build and had a few questions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Starting my AR build and had a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Default Starting my AR build and had a few questions.

So I'm using some of my free time over the summer to build my first AR-15. I won't be saving money but I'm doing it for the experience and the fun of it. I can't afford too many super custom parts but I did order my upper and BCG last Saturday and was curious if anybody had experience with how long it usually takes to ship them? I ordered a great deal from PSA the day before Father's Day. Got a PTAC upper with a Bushnell red sot included.ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403181718.315120.jpg
I also ordered a 5.56 M16 BCG that came included with a PSA flip up sight. All came up to just over $400. I wanted to use some of those savings to get the raptor ambi charging handle.. But I wanted to hear any ideas or reviews that y'all might have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2820 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

First, I'd be interested in how that particular upper/optic works out for you. I have been eyeballing that same setup myself. I need to finish up the rifle I'm building for my wife.
As for PSA shipping, IIRC, they have something of a reputation for not being in a particularly big hurry when it comes to getting things out the door. The parts kit I ordered shipped in a more or less reasonable amount of time, though clearly they weren't rushing. IMHO, if one is in a big hurry, PSA probably isn't your preferred option.

Please note that on the bottom, they clearly state it ships in 10 to 15 BUSINESS days. I would plan for it to take every bit of that.

File Type: jpg PSA Upper.jpg (31.3 KB, 107 views)
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I agree, PSA sale items are not likely to arrive before their estimate.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I agree, PSA sale items are not likely to arrive before their estimate.
They havent been to bad lately , I ordered a Daily deal rifle kit and it showed up in 8 or 9 days .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Their lowers, accessories and ammo usually arrive within a week. Their uppers usually take a couple of weeks. I'm a PSA dealer and even I have to wait sometimes to get product in. My last order of uppers from them took almost 3 weeks to arrive.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

I'm not in any big rush I was just curious. I ordered some ammo from them previously and had it at my door a week later. I'm actually gonna pick up a lower and parts kit from a LGS later today so I'll probably post pics later. And there will definitely be a range day once it's all put together.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Damn that's a steal on a complete upper. I ordered a BCG, and some other parts from PSA and it took for flippin ever. Probably three weeks. It was a good deal, that's the only way I will deal with slow shipping. Whatever you do, don't pay extra for express shipping. I made that mistake as well.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

I've ordered 3 "premium" uppers and one PTAC over the last 6 months, along with several BCG's and Lower Kits. All of the uppers took 3 weeks to arrive but were well worth the wait.

The premium are excellent quality at a low price. Even the PTAC line has improved over the last few months. They used to be hit or miss with quality, but apparently PSA got tired of the complaints.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #9

Glad to hear it. I'm in the middle of building my lower. All I'm missing is the charging handle

Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy View Post
I also ordered a 5.56 M16 BCG that came included with a PSA flip up sight. All came up to just over $400. I wanted to use some of those savings to get the raptor ambi charging handle.. But I wanted to hear any ideas or reviews that y'all might have.
PTAC is sorta C+ quality at the price of D- equipment in my opinion...and that's not a bad thing. It's decent gear at a great price. You did just fine. You could buy a BCM Gunfighter CH and have a really solid complete upper for $450. Nothing wrong with that.

Your rifle gets done for $600-800 total, and is significantly superior to similarly priced complete Wally World rifles...and you can spend what you saved on mags/ammo. Good strategy.

I have one PTAC upper. It would never be my first choice, but I really can't complain. It's run just fine thus far.