Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Starting a 1st build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/starting-1st-build-56815/)

Flat4sti 02-01-2012 10:46 PM

Starting a 1st build

So I batted around the idea of building vs Buying a complete. I watched a video that somebody posted from brownells's and was like Holly Hell that is much easier than i thought. Now, I am overwhelmed. I thought i had it down to the upper that i want BCM mid 16". then I read about barrel twists (BCM's 1:7). My question is will a 55 grain bullet be to small? I find that most ammo that I see are 55 gr. I am only going to be shooting this at a 100 yard range. I was originally thinking about the RRA upper which is at 1:9.

For the lower I am gonna go into the local gun stores and see what they have in the way of stripped lowers. I really want a Spikes, A. because I like that they are in Florida, B. I think the spider logo is SWEET.

Lower Kits Daniel Defense?

I am probably going to be starting this project some time in the coming weeks.

I am not looking for people to tell me what to get, but any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Oh, another question...is the stripped lower the only thing that i need shipped to an ffl, and the rest i can have shipped to my door?

frostyone 02-01-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat4sti
Oh, another question...is the stripped lower the only thing that i need shipped to an ffl, and the rest i can have shipped to my door?

The lower is the only part that needs to go through an FFL. Everything else is shipped straight to your door. 1:7 barrel twist will work just fine for 55 grain especially if you're only shooting out to 100 yards.

The BCM 16" midlength upper is a great choice. Daniel defense lpk sounds great along with a spikes lower. Sounds like you have a pretty good start to putting a quality AR together.

Quentin 02-01-2012 11:29 PM

A Spikes lower would be fine. The other parts you're describing sound good too. Frosty's advice is dead on.

mjkeat 02-01-2012 11:40 PM

My name is mjkeat and I support this message.

Quentin 02-02-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 696673)
My name is mjkeat and I support this message.

Well aren't you going to introduce Hellcat too? :p

ZombieKiller83 02-02-2012 01:12 AM

I have a BCM mid length lightweight and love it, definitely a solid choice . I shoot 55gr through mine quite often with no issues with accuracy

mjkeat 02-02-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 696760)
Well aren't you going to introduce Hellcat too? :p

Q meet HC, HC meet Q. :D

Flat4sti 02-03-2012 11:39 PM

ok Spikes Lower, Daniel defense lower parts kit, Magpul ctr stock are on their way. BCM i am gonna get to tomorrow.

Quentin 02-04-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat4sti (Post 698527)
ok Spikes Lower, Daniel defense lower parts kit, Magpul ctr stock are on their way. BCM i am gonna get to tomorrow.

Excellent choices, hope your upper is in stock, maybe it's best to check now! :eek:

frostyone 02-04-2012 12:27 AM

If its not in stock at BCM's website check out www.gandrtactical.com.

Just dont order the last upper from there, I'm ordering mine on Monday.