Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Staking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2218 Times on 1111 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Let me try to download the drawing one more time. If it does not work it is because I am trying to download Microsoft Publisher to the FTF. I am trying a JPeg on this one. We will see if it works?

carrier-key-center-punch-locations-2.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #12

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Around 10 years ago I fired my Colt New Service. I never experienced 2 rounds going off in a revolver when only pulling the trigger once. What happened was the recoil plate(donut) had fallen out without my knowledge and I didn't notice it when I swung open the cylinder to load.

Apparently when that recoil plate is missing the gas blowing back when the primer ignites has enough force to send the hammer back again and then the hammer fell forward discharging the next round. At this time the firing pin embedded itself into the primer and it had to be freed in order to open the cylinder again. This scared the crap out of me.

I happened to have a recoil plate from a SAA that was slightly larger that had to be fitted. That little donut also had to be staked to prevent it from happening again. But other than that incident my 90 year old Colt never gave me a problem.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
X-5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52 View Post
Of course I pulled my BCG out and sure enough it is staked. Thanks again.

Since you said you own a DPMS, odds are it is NOT staked adequately.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52
Well I got to bump this, not because I have a big head, but maybe a fat head though.

I am gonna install a new end plate with a sling ring. I'll be ding dog daggety, if the castle nut isn't staked. Can I get it off without messing up the threads on the tube?
I had the same problem with my rifle. I just used a dremel and cut it off. Just make sure that you don't go all the way through so that you don't damage the buffer tube and then use an ar tool to break it the rest of the way. You will need to buy a new castle nut of course but they're cheap. Took me less then 5 minutes to do the whole thing so it's pretty easy.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #15

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

You can reuse the castle nut if it's not damaged. You don't stake the CN, it's the end plate that's staked and of course Ruger said he's replacing it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You can reuse the castle nut if it's not damaged. You don't stake the CN, it's the end plate that's staked and of course Ruger said he's replacing it.
Well when I did it the nut got cut in the process. Wasn't bad enough that it couldn't have been reused but looked bad enough that buying a less than $5 nut was a better choice.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #17

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Still, it doesn't mean that he will need a new castle nut if resonable care is taken.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-5 View Post
Since you said you own a DPMS, odds are it is NOT staked adequately.
Man I am telling you, it sure looks like it is. The gas key is tight, after 3000 rounds. I do keep an eye out for loose stuff, as I am a cleaning freak.

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Last edited by Ruger52; 11-30-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quentin and Brad, thanks for the replys on the castle nut. I haven't had time to mess with it latley, but perhaps this coming weekend.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Got off work early today, and popped the castle nut off, and viola, I have a new end plate with a sling ring. Forgot about the spring in the buffer hold pin. It flew out, but with my quick eye I saw it hit the wall, and found it and the spring. Whew, that was a close one.