Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Stag or Windham Weaponry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stag-windham-weaponry-71478/)

CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME 08-30-2012 11:36 PM

Stag or Windham Weaponry?

Looking at either a Stag Arms Model 3 or a Windham Weaponry SRC. Which has better quality, reliability, or any other suggestions for similar ar15s? I have seen both of these for less than 800. And 1000 is roughly my budget. I want this and 200 for optics, flip-up or RDS/scope. Sight suggestions appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

mountainman13 08-30-2012 11:46 PM

Both are decent starter guns. I'd recommend global arms also in the same price range. With windham its kinda a gamble on the longevity of the company much like global arms. I can tell you global arms are transitioning from military and law enforcement only into the civilian market. 100% mil-spec.

Sniper03 08-31-2012 12:12 AM

Cant,

That is a unique user name! I am not aware that much with Windham Weaponry but I am with Stag. They make a fine weapon and a lot of people may not know but his father owns Continental Machine and Tool who makes parts for a considerable amount of the AR Manufacturers in the industry at their machine facility. With that said, you can assure his son receivers top quality parts form his father. Last I knew Continental also made receivers and other parts for about 10 other manufacturers. Most companies are just builders not manufacturers. With that said, regarding your question I would go with Stag no doubt. There are certainly other great quality manufacturers out there also beside Stag. Like Rock River Arms, Daniel Defense and LMT who in my opinion the top of the line when it comes to product, parts and quality.
Good luck on your selection. :)

partdeux 08-31-2012 12:25 AM

Windham is the original Bushmaster management.

I bought one. I don't know anything about AR15, and still haven't had an opportunity to shoot it several weeks later... But, it seems to be a solid and well built firearm.

Fathead00 08-31-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME
Looking at either a Stag Arms Model 3 or a Windham Weaponry SRC. Which has better quality, reliability, or any other suggestions for similar ar15s? I have seen both of these for less than 800. And 1000 is roughly my budget. I want this and 200 for optics, flip-up or RDS/scope. Sight suggestions appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

Me and ZG just bought a Stag model 3. We've only shot about 100 rounds through it, but it is a really nice rifle. We didn't buy a super fancy scope for it, we picked up a Cabelas 3X9X40 scope.

jjfuller1 08-31-2012 12:51 AM

My vote goes to stag. They are good rifles. Not that windham would be bad. Just I like stag a little more. I own 2

tacticalfun 08-31-2012 12:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
5000 flawless rounds through my windham.

Attachment 56159

Attachment 56160

Attachment 56161

Attachment 56162

Quentin 08-31-2012 04:23 AM

Given serious thought to what your uses will be? That does make a difference.

I see you're from Maine so Windham is a thought but to me they're way too new to take a chance on. Stag is a known manufacturer and Sniper pointed out some pluses. But with an $800 budget for the rifle itself, I'd look at PSA.

CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME 08-31-2012 01:02 PM

My use for the gun would be just about everything. Defense/survival if or when needed. And a target gun. Both are less than $800 locally. I have handled both of them but haven't fired either. Anyone know much about Windham. I like them but like Quentin stated is a little too new to throw $800 at.

mountainman13 08-31-2012 01:10 PM

They are basically a bushmaster. The idea is that they are made better than the new ones and have a lifetime warranty.