STAG Model 1 or Model 2? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

STAG Model 1 or Model 2?


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
So let me get this straight because it has more than 1:7 twist is a low end manufacturer ?
I would gladly put my 1:12 barrel to your 1:7 twist at 500 yards and we will see who shoots the tightest groups . Twist is nothing more than how fast it spins the bullet , tighter twists are made for better accuracy in heavier bullets like a 75 gr , just like a 1:12 spins a 45-55 gr varmit round real nice , Barrel quality is not measured by barrel twist so lets get things straight , a 1:9 twist will damn near shoot anything you put down the barrel . cram a 45 gr varmit round down your 1:7 barrel and let me know if you can hit anything ? You wont, it will spin the bullet apart before it ever reachs 20 yards. Most high end target rifles are using a 1:8-1:12 twist in .223 so you cannot say that anything more than 1:7 is substandard on quality in any rifle . 1:7 twist is Mil Spec , whooppeeee, whats that mean ? Nothing , Thats just what the military uses to meet their specs in a gun they order , does that mean its better quality or better shooting than a 1:8 or 1:9 . NO!!! thats just the standard they use .
Exactly. Barrel twist has about as much to do with the quality level of an AR-15, or any other weapon, about as much as the phases of the Moon. This is exactly the kind of stupid, mall ninja crap that constantly gets spewed on these forums, that does absolutely nothing but mislead honest people trying to get good information.

Manufacturers use 1 in 9" twist barrels because they are by far the most useful, and can shoot a much wider range of bullet weights, not because they are cheaper, or are of lesser quality. That kind of thinking is purely absurd. As was pointed out even Colt has gone to 1 in 9" twist rates in their barrels because they offer more practicality than a 1 in 7" twist does for most all users.

In bolt guns, many of which far outclass AR-15's in accuracy, a 1 in 10", or even a 1 in 12" twist is utilized with great accuracy results in .223 caliber. It costs no more to manufacture a barrel in a 1 in 7" twist, than it does in any other twist rate. It has nothing to do with quality, or if the manufacturer using them is "high end". That is complete and total nonsense.
billt is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

The satement I made is correct. You will find the majority of 1:9 barrels on ARs from manufacturers who are known for producing lower end ARs. I didn't say twist had anything to do w/ the overal quality of the AR. You guys really need to read the entire post before getting all emotional and jumping to defend you choices.

There's a lot to be said about companies that meet or exceed the minimum standard considering the amount of those who don't care to put forth the effort to yet still charge a similar price.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EiteCombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 124
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The satement I made is correct. You will find the majority of 1:9 barrels on ARs from manufacturers who are known for producing lower end ARs. I didn't say twist had anything to do w/ the overal quality of the AR. You guys really need to read the entire post before getting all emotional and jumping to defend you choices.
Again I state, so Colt is known for lower end ARs?? Someone better tell the Gov't.
__________________
Best advice I ever received: It's better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.
EiteCombat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiteCombat View Post
Again I state, so Colt is known for lower end ARs?? Someone better tell the Gov't.
What twist are the majority of Colt barrels. Pointing out an exception to the rule doesn't change the rule.

Have you heard of "whole sight?" It's seeing the entire picture using the mind and emotion rather than one or the other. Whole sight prevents instances like we are having here.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EiteCombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 124
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

You still have failed to defend your point to the people who are giving you info about the different twists. You have yet to comment on either post by billt or purehavoc (explaining the difference) who obviously know more then you. I don't claim to be an expert or even know a lot about the subject but I'm just calling it like I see it.
__________________
Best advice I ever received: It's better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.
EiteCombat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,808
Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The satement I made is correct. You will find the majority of 1:9 barrels on ARs from manufacturers who are known for producing lower end ARs. I didn't say twist had anything to do w/ the overal quality of the AR. You guys really need to read the entire post before getting all emotional and jumping to defend you choices.

There's a lot to be said about companies that meet or exceed the minimum standard considering the amount of those who don't care to put forth the effort to yet still charge a similar price.
Its not that we are defending our choices we are stating facts about barrel twist , Most of the 1:7 twist barrels are being done by companies that are staying in Mil Spec , Why because they want to have products with those specs , that doesnt make them any better or more accurate , I feel like your trying to get people to believe Mil Spec is just " better". Its just a specification that the military wants their rifle built to, as to these other companies follow because thats the spec they want . These " out of Mil-spec barrel twists" do nothing but help the owner use a wider range of ammo that cannot be used effectivly in a 1:7 Mil spec barrel .
purehavoc is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,768
Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTenn
I think I have decided to get the model 2 bc of the flip up and down iron sights... Would you back my decision or choose differently? Why?
No matter what mjkeat says, Stag is a higher end AR company. ask anyone that owns one and they will tell its a fantastic weapon. A 1in9 twist barrel is perfect for anybody that ain't going to afganistan.
Mjkeat is just a stag hater.
Ohh and my stag model 1 is awesome, but go with the 2. Flat tops are a little simpler to mod if ur into that.
kryptar19 is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EiteCombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 124
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

BTW, this thread is about whether to get a Stag Model 1 or 2. This has gone a bit off topic. But back to my origional point, he is asking which STAG he should get. Not which brand.

Bten, I own the Model 1 but the model 2 does seem nice with the flip up sights. If I had known at the time I might have gotten that one instead because I'm just going to remove the carry handle and put an optic on there anyway. So it seems a little more versitile then the model 1 with that in mind.
__________________
Best advice I ever received: It's better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.
EiteCombat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiteCombat
You still have failed to defend your point to the people who are giving you info about the different twists. You have yet to comment on either post by billt or purehavoc (explaining the difference) who obviously know more then you. I don't claim to be an expert or even know a lot about the subject but I'm just calling it like I see it.
Look at the different manufacturers and tell me who produces the most ARs with 1 in 9 twist barrels. That was the extent of my comment. People seem to read into my comments way too much and substitute their meaning for mine.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Its not that we are defending our choices we are stating facts about barrel twist , Most of the 1:7 twist barrels are being done by companies that are staying in Mil Spec , Why because they want to have products with those specs , that doesnt make them any better or more accurate , I feel like your trying to get people to believe Mil Spec is just " better". Its just a specification that the military wants their rifle built to, as to these other companies follow because thats the spec they want . These " out of Mil-spec barrel twists" do nothing but help the owner use a wider range of ammo that cannot be used effectivly in a 1:7 Mil spec barrel .
If you read my post above your last post you'll see that I said mil spec is the minimum standard and some can't even reach the minimum standard. Stag is 1 of those companies. In fact ill charge you an extra 100 dollars for the trouble to meet mil spec standard. If they're treating mil spec as an upgrade what does that tell you about them as a company?
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
stag arms model 3g jessal2003 AR-15 Discussion 13 03-21-2012 12:15 AM
Stag Arms Model 3? fatmidgets AR-15 Discussion 4 12-17-2011 07:58 PM
Stag Arms AR 15 Model 1 or Model 2??? Steelersfan AR-15 Discussion 9 04-04-2011 08:36 PM
STAG Model 1 wreck1819 AR-15 Discussion 7 02-10-2011 09:05 PM
Stag Model 1 Imspuds AR-15 Discussion 1 01-03-2011 04:39 PM



Newest Threads