Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   STAG Model 1 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stag-model-1-a-37511/)

wreck1819 01-27-2011 08:47 PM

STAG Model 1

Hi guys, i've been in the market for an ar-15 for a while now and have just about decided to buy a STAG model 1 for $825 but thought i should ask all of you if this sounds like a good deal. Or does this gun have some serious issues i should know about it? Thanks

Dillinger 01-27-2011 09:05 PM

Used? New?

From the STAG website it retails for about $950, so the price is about right.

What is the primary usage for the weapon? It had a fixed front sight and gas block combo, which can be a pain in the ass if you want to mount optics. The carry handle detaches, which makes a heads up unit or some glass an option, but that front sight will be in the way and you have to mess with co-witness heights.

The barrel is chrome lined, so no worries about wear for the average or above average shooter. 16" and no free float fore-end won't lead to the best over all accuracy, but Minute of Bad Guy should be easily attainable.

It's got a 1:9 twist barrel according to the manufacturer website, so all your 55 grain and 62 grain common ammo will shoot fine out of it.

All in all, if this is just a plinker or range gun for fun, I think you found a pretty good deal.

JD

mjkeat 01-27-2011 09:25 PM

For the money, BCM.

wreck1819 01-27-2011 10:58 PM

well i really wanted a general purpose rifle to carry out on some property for coyotes or hogs if i run across them and just for some accurate fun

Sniper03 01-27-2011 11:08 PM

Wreck,

You might want to take a serious look at the Rock River Arms rifles. They actually have a model called the Coyote. In 16" and 20". I have several other AR rifles also and rank my River Guns as some of the top! As Dillinger advised I think you should look at the other options on the Stag if that is where you are going. As he stated the standard front sight problem with mounting a good scope. Also when you mount a scope on the AR Rifle it is best to also buy a Scout Rail or a Scope Mounting unit that moves the scope rings forward so you will be able to get the proper eye relief on the scope. The Eye Piece on the scope should be even with the Charging Handle and top rear of the upper receiver.
Good Luck with your decision. There are several good ARs out there today.

snuff 01-27-2011 11:13 PM

For the money I would say that is a very good deal. Stag is basically Continental Machine & Tool (CMT) and has been in and around the AR and M16 arena for some time providing parts for the industry. I know that we used to get parts kits and replacement parts from CMT, as well as other manufacturers, to keep our pieces operational and never had an issue with performance or reliability. They do know what they are doing and how to build a very good piece. The Model 1 and for what you intend to use it for are a very good match.

Snuff

wreck1819 02-10-2011 08:57 PM

Hey thanks for all of the advice guys, i went ahead and got it and have sent about a 150 rounds of cheap monarch ammo through it and love it.

dog2000tj 02-10-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreck1819 (Post 442256)
Hey thanks for all of the advice guys, i went ahead and got it and have sent about a 150 rounds of cheap monarch ammo through it and love it.

Congratulations on your new SUR. ;) Now how's about providing us some pics and a range report :cool: