Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > stag or Daniel defensive ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

DD all the way. Got one for 2 yrs now and love it to death. Got a
magpul ar a few months ago, in terms of operation I prefer the DD it seems to be quite a bit smoother (neither has had any jams yet *knock on wood*) but the feel of magpul accessories can't be beat.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #12

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine
DD all the way. Got one for 2 yrs now and love it to death. Got a
magpul ar a few months ago, in terms of operation I prefer the DD it seems to be quite a bit smoother (neither has had any jams yet *knock on wood*) but the feel of magpul accessories can't be beat.
Iv had my DD for bout a year and a half i think and my stock, grips-front and back, and my front shroud is all magpul. The only thing i dont have for it that i want is counter sniper butt stock.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Why?

OK, DD is considered better by many. My question is why? A previous reply stated that "Their Standards are Better". Is their quality control better? Do they hold tolerances to a tighter degree? Are their barrels better? I have a Stag with a 20 in barrel and after about 500 rounds (I haven't had it that long) it seems to shoot pretty good with no problems so far.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS11
OK, DD is considered better by many. My question is why? A previous reply stated that "Their Standards are Better". Is their quality control better? Do they hold tolerances to a tighter degree? Are their barrels better? I have a Stag with a 20 in barrel and after about 500 rounds (I haven't had it that long) it seems to shoot pretty good with no problems so far.
The have alot tighter QC and alot better/stricter specs on their parts. They also use alot better quality materials for their parts.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #15

Stags*are really tight as far as the upper and lower fitting together. They make nice rifles for a hella of a lot cheaper than DD. You don't have to spend a lot of $$$ to get a nice stag.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
Stags*are really tight as far as the upper and lower fitting together. They make nice rifles for a hella of a lot cheaper than DD. You don't have to spend a lot of $$$ to get a nice stag.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #17

Go with Daniel Defense if you can afford it. The cost reflects the extra QA and tests that are done on the major components of their ARs. The BCG (bolt carrier group) and the barrel are the two most important pieces to your AR. Things like the shot peening, MPI (Magnetic Paticle Inspection), HPI (High Pressure Inspection), properly staking the castle nut on the stock, staking of the carrier key, and a carrier that shrouds the firing pin are many things that some commercial manufacturers do not do for each and every rifle they make. Most only sample test their parts prior to assembling their ARs. There are other things involved also (chrome lining the barrel, etc...) but DD isn't the only high end AR maker out there. Noveske, Bravo Company, Spikes Tactical, LaRue Tactical, are a few. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #18

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im sure that DD makes a good rifle, but i love my Stag M4.its been a 100% performer after 1500 rounds. Wouldnt sell it for anything

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #19

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeLuvs1911 View Post
Go with Daniel Defense if you can afford it. The cost reflects the extra QA and tests that are done on the major components of their ARs. The BCG (bolt carrier group) and the barrel are the two most important pieces to your AR. Things like the shot peening, MPI (Magnetic Paticle Inspection), HPI (High Pressure Inspection), properly staking the castle nut on the stock, staking of the carrier key, and a carrier that shrouds the firing pin are many things that some commercial manufacturers do not do for each and every rifle they make. Most only sample test their parts prior to assembling their ARs. There are other things involved also (chrome lining the barrel, etc...) but DD isn't the only high end AR maker out there. Noveske, Bravo Company, Spikes Tactical, LaRue Tactical, are a few. Good luck!

Everyone has to make their own decisions and go with whatever they like best. In my opinion what ZekeLuvs1911 said above matters. Sure the higher grade components, extra work and attention to detail cost more but don't think it doesn't matter.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a stag and I shot over 3000 rounds of wolf herters American eagle with out being cleaned