Stag arms upper - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

I'm not trying to rain on your parade Michael but I know I've seen complete Stag ARs (not just uppers) in the $800 range in the past (not with the milspec upgrade of course). I'm not knocking Stag, just think that your money can get you more. Or less money can get PSA or Spikes.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Ouch, that seems real high for Stag. Can you cancel the order? I hear it's a good upper but at that price you could get BCM.
I agree. My Daniel Defense m4v5 LW complete upper only cost $880 with free shipping from Rainier Arms.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'm not trying to rain on your parade Michael but I know I've seen complete Stag ARs (not just uppers) in the $800 range in the past (not with the milspec upgrade of course). I'm not knocking Stag, just think that your money can get you more. Or less money can get PSA or Spikes.
This is very true. Nothing against Stag but it does seem high. It's a nice looking upper w/ a decent rail.

Palmetto State Armory 16'' Hammer-Forged, Mid-length, upper

Plus whatever rail you'd like. The rail on the Stag ran around $280 from Samson. $280 will get you a good rail from most manufacturers.

Some examples:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Centurion Arms | Centurion Arms C4 Rail System - Mid Cutout

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Centurion Arms | Centurion Arms C4 Rail System - 9.0

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | OMEGA Series | DD 9.0 OMEGA™ Free Float Handguard (MidLength)

The DD Broke mentioned is a great AR as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #14

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Michael, in the end this is your decision and maybe I spoke too much last night (but it was midnight!) The rail is better than I originally thought so that does make the Stag a better deal than I originally thought. And you're including their milspec option and shipping. You did order a quality unit and if the barrel profile, rail, etc. are what you want go with your research not someone else's. If you do get it we'd sure like detailed pictures as it would be interesting to see how Stag does a fighting carbine!

One thing that has been bothering me, I wouldn't make this a permanent swap on your Carbon-15 lower. Not sure if the composite lower can handle a standard upper for hard or sustained use. Maybe build a standard stripped lower down the road and put the C15 back together as a spare or to sell. The main reason I say this is my buddy and I started to try a fairly heavy upper on his C15 lower but chickened out when it didn't line up well. We could have forced the pins in but didn't want to get rough. And even with just the rear pin pushed in the rifle was terribly muzzle heavy.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #15

Sorry I dont mean to hijack the thread. Are the PSA uppers pretty good? My lower is done and Im looking for a descent upper. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Michael, in the end this is your decision and maybe I spoke too much last night (but it was midnight!) The rail is better than I originally thought so that does make the Stag a better deal than I originally thought. And you're including their milspec option and shipping. You did order a quality unit and if the barrel profile, rail, etc. are what you want go with your research not someone else's. If you do get it we'd sure like detailed pictures as it would be interesting to see how Stag does a fighting carbine!

One thing that has been bothering me, I wouldn't make this a permanent swap on your Carbon-15 lower. Not sure if the composite lower can handle a standard upper for hard or sustained use. Maybe build a standard stripped lower down the road and put the C15 back together as a spare or to sell. The main reason I say this is my buddy and I started to try a fairly heavy upper on his C15 lower but chickened out when it didn't line up well. We could have forced the pins in but didn't want to get rough. And even with just the rear pin pushed in the rifle was terribly muzzle heavy.
this is my actual plan. I just havent got around to ordering a new lower. i havent had a day off in months. i need to make a trip to a gun shop

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #17

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty123 View Post
Sorry I dont mean to hijack the thread. Are the PSA uppers pretty good? My lower is done and Im looking for a descent upper. Thanks.
I have had good luck with mine and I have a second one that will be here tomorrow , PSA is making great stuff for the money , I wouldnt mind having a big name upper one day but for now I cannot complain , I believe PSA's prices are where they are to get their name out there with a quality product and I would expect to see their stuff get more expensive as their name gets out there more

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-10-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #18

what is a good quality lower to get? i dont want to spend too much on it. is spikes good

Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBarton View Post
what is a good quality lower to get? i dont want to spend too much on it. is spikes good
PSA, Spikes, BCM blem

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBarton
PSA runs occasional specials on their mil-spec stripped lowers. $49.99 last I saw. Haven't seen that beat yet...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\